Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CANNOT OPEN CONTROL PANEL, START/STOP SERVICES, START DISK MANAGER

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyichux

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2003
US
I have a server running Windows 2000 SP4, domain controller that somehow seem not to be responding. The server is running Exchange 2000 with the latest updates, and is part of a six server Network. It is also running Symantec Anti Virus coporate edition ver. 8.1 and Symantec mail security for exchange.

When trying to start Disk manager, I get "connecting to local disk manager service....." and it just sits there.

Any attempt to open control panel just gives me a window with the listing of the number of objects in the window on the status bar and a blank window.

I cannot manually stop and or start any services.

I cannot browse or get to the properties of my network places.

My Antivirus real time protection icon on the taskbar, tells me that it is disabled and I did not disable it.

However, the server is still running, and users are still able to log on, send and recieve E-mail etc.

Has anyone experienced any thing like this in any of their environments? As this is now happening to all our domain controllers. Meanwhile, no one else has noticed any change in our environment.

Take a look at:
thread96-1104376

Sounds very similar!

Good luck!

X

Thanks men this is really something, it worked.

Am now recovering my servers one by one.

Thanks a lot for this pointer

Anyichux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back