Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open backend of a split DataBase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFuddled

Programmer
May 28, 2000
I cannot compact, repair or even look at the tables in the backend of my split database. I get the error message: "operation is invalid without a current index" or " "" isn't an index in this table. Look in the Indexes Collection of the TableDef to determine valid index names"

The front end it is linked to is apparently able to post data to the linked tables and operate normally.

Is there a way I can get back in to the tables to fix this or should I try to re-enter data into a 2 day old copy the backend (keeping in mind that the 2nd option would have a dozen people angry with me)? [sig][/sig]

WP - Thanks for the response. I think you're right about that because I did try to import the tables and could import all but 1 table. Every attempt to import that 1 table gave an error message that the Microsoft Database Jet Engine could not complete the action because someone else was trying to change the data at the same time. I was the only one on at the time. After wasting several hours trying different things, panicking and sending this request for help from tek-tips, I discovered that Access had made a "db1" which turned out to be a copy of backend as it was before I screwed it up. So, I'm back in business. Next time, I'll look for that first. [sig][/sig]

Maybe something else to look at.

Something I have learned to also look for, is a file with the same name as your database, with a ".LDB" extension, in the same directory where your database resides.

From what I understand, this is a record locking file. When the database is opened, this file is created. When the database closes properly, this file goes away. If there is an abnormal closing of the database, this file still remains.

After making sure that absolutely NO ONE is in the database, I have removed this file and had it release the database. I usually will run a database repair after this to make sure everything is still kosher. If anyone has heard that this is a no-no, please let me know.

Hope it helps...
[sig]<p>Terry M. Hoey<br><a href=mailto:th3856@txmail.sbc.com>th3856@txmail.sbc.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Ever notice that by the time that you realize that you ran a truncate script on the wrong instance, it is too late to stop it?[/sig]

Thanks th3856, for this tip, I have wondered about this because that open &quot;LDB&quot; file often keeps me from compacting the backend or updating my &quot;mde&quot; copy.

The .ldb file IS a record locking file that stores info about the users currently in the database. If you open a .ldb file using notepad, you can see a list of users and their machine names that have been in the database. th3856 is correct about the file going away when the database is closed properly, but it will be left open if the database is corrupted or forcefully closed. In order to compact and repair a database, the .ldb file for the database must be gone. You might also want to try a program that we use called Jet Compact that was made by Microsoft. It is sometimes able to repair problems that Access cannot.

Mike Rohde
rohdem@marshallengines.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back