Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot open an .exe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckyfour

Technical User
Feb 7, 2000
CA
I downloaded the latest superdat from McAfee (4102.exe) and the first thing I noticed is that it did not look like a regular icon (sorry, I'm not great at this...) but a white box with a blue top. So, I clicked on it and got the following message: c:\windows\desktop\sdat\4102.exe is not a valid win32 application
I tried downloading from netscape and IE. Same thing. If I look at the properties, the old icon info is a different layout than the new properties box which gives more options to click on. Sorry my question is so vague.

My guess is the update got corrupted during download. I would try again.

Clive
clive@digitalsky.co.za

Thanks Clive. I wrote McAfee and they also said they thought it was a corrupt file. They offered several alternate download site and I think it worked as my McAfee desktop icon now looks like it's supposed to. What I'd like to know now is what the icons are when you look in windows explorer (ie a folder looks a certain way) so when I post a question or try to communicate to the computer tech guy I hire to come to my place, I'm more understandable. I've done internet searches to no avail and was hoping for something like: Icons for Idiots LOL Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back