Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot open access mdb file; could not create....

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
I get the following error...

"could not create; no modily design permission for table or query 'MSysAccessObjects'"

Here is what I've tried with no success....
- Compacting the db; no success. Compacting seems to have worked but db doesn't open
- created a new db and tried to import the tables from the original into the new one. received the exact same error....
- tried opening the db while holding the Shift key; still no success...

Anything else I should try? This isn't life or death but we'd like to be able to see the data once again... thanks!!

Steve

Seems odd that you can import... My first hunch was it was in file version other than what you are using to open it.

Assuming you don't have a version problem (if it is and you compact / repaired go straight to a back up)...

Is your database split? If so, are your tables ok? If not can you import just your tables into a new db and they be ok? If not can you import tables one at a time and see where it fails?

Ideally you can get your tables without problems and then get all your other objects out of a backup that is ok.

If you still have no luck, go back to the last backup you have that did.

If you do not have back ups, you could try one of the data recovery places online, I've never used them myself. I would also hope someone took a copy at some point to view things and still has it.

Good luck!

How are ya stevenriz . . .
stevenriz said:
[blue] ... I get the following error...

"could not create; no modily design permission for table or query 'MSysAccessObjects'"[/blue]
[blue]MSysAccessObjects[/blue] is a system object ... generated by access to do what it has to. Normally you don't see these systems unless you enable them.

How is it this system table is the focus of your thread ... when you should never touch it! [surprise] If somehow you got the Idea that modifying system tables would make a difference ... forget it!!
How are ya stevenriz . . .
I expect ... there's other code preventing the db from opening. You'll hav to set a beakpoint and single step from there to find the problem.

[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

BTW: Welcome to [blue]Tek-Tips![/blue] [thumbsup2] Do have a look at one of the links at the bottom of my post. The links will help you [blue]ask better questions[/blue], get [blue]quick responses[/blue], [blue]better answers[/blue], and insite into [blue]etiquette[/blue] here in the forums. Again . . . Welcome to [blue]Tek-Tips![/blue] [thumbsup2] [blue]Its Worthy Reading![/blue]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Aceman's concern's are valid too. I am assuming your problem is from corruption that does not want to go away. Although unless you can undo what you did to that table (set permissions on the table?) my advice stands but what you did may give added insight to what is going on or a different approach.

I mentioned backup's a bunch but forgot to mention the number one rule of trying to fix corruption. Work from a copy of the problem file(s) so you can always go back to the original.

thanks everyone! I have to come clean. This DB is a friend's and this started happening after a system crash, or so he says. Since I am in IT, I thought I'd take a crack at trying to fix it for him. I am by no means very knowledgable in Access so by setting permissions on a table, I wouldn't know how if I cannot open it to begin with. Maybe there is a set a tools I don't realize I have with Access or maybe there is another tool that I can use to modify the perms.

thanks Aceman and Lameid... Your help is much appreciated!!

Two questions...

What version of Access are you using?

What version of Access is your friend using?

If yours is earlier, he should try a compact and repair on his machine on a copy of the file. After that then go down the path I originally described. It is basically the same as importing everything to a new file, only you import some of the stuff.

stevenriz . . .

If you want more help ... you need to answer [blue]lameid's[/blue] valid questions! [surprise]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Also check if you have redundent locking file preventing you from opening it. There shouldn't be one if the database is not open so delete it.

Just a thought...

Ian Mayor (UK)
Program Error
9 times out of 10 I know what I'm talking about. This must be my tenth reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back