Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot mount a ntfs partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanau

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2002
CA
Hi,

I installed the rpm's package fot the ntfs support on Red Hat 9 server. I tried to mount my ntfs partition on hda1 device but I always got the message mount: mount point /mnt/data does not exist. This is my command:

mount /dev/hda1 -t ntfs /mnt/data

Thanks for yout help

does the directory '/mnt/data' exist?
if not you need to create it

Hi ,

Yes, I created the directory /mnt/data

I remarked then my data directory was created as /mnt/Data. I tried back my command to mount it but now, I got the message "mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel". I tried to re-install it "rpm -ivh rpm package.rpm" and the system told then the package is already installed. I tried to unistall it and I got the message then this package is not installed ?????????

Any idea?

> "mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel"

This pretty much says it all, 'ntfs' support needs to be compiled into your kernel.

In regards to your RPM issues, I don't use them so I'm not sure as to what to tell you. But off hand I'd have to say that something didn't install properly.

Sorry I can't be more help there

Also, check w/ the docs for the rpm you installed and see if there are any kernel version requirements.

Needs NTFS support.
you have to recompile the kernel.
#cd /usr/src/linux-2.x.x/
# make menuconfig (you can use xconfig - in X)

and check
Code maturity level options -->
[*] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers

next in menu go for:
File systems --->
and look for the option "NTFS file system support "
Check this too.
(you can build this as module, is better).

Next, you have to compile de kernel.

Marcel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back