Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot map to server externally

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishow

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
SG
I don't seem to be able to map to my server from my home. I keep receiving the message "Error 1351 has occurred" when I type "net use f: \\servername\folder". I've checked all security aspects in my server but found nothing, why?

What connection do you have from home to the office?
Error 1351 means:
"Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied."
"net use" is using NetBIOS name resolution. It depends how this protocol is moving between your computer and the company LAN. Are you in a different LAN?
Also, possible (there should be) to be restrictions in the RAS policy. Check there too.
Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

I forgot to let you know that I'm mapping using my server's public IP address. What other settings can cause this problem? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back