Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot manage desktops with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpgrim

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
US
We have recently started to upgrade our workstations from windows 2000 pro to XP pro (sp1a). Now we are unable to "manage" XP computers from a workstation that has also been upgraded. We use this feature to elevate local rights when needed to run certain applications. Now it says that the "Local users and groups" is "access denied". This is the only feature under computer management that has a red "x" on it. We are logged in as admins when trying to perform these functions. Here's the twist, when I log into a Windows 2000 box as "administrator" and try to "manage" another computer (xp or 2000) I am able to make changes to the local users and groups. When I log into an XP computer as "administrator" and manage a 2000 box, it's fine. If I do the same thing to an xp box I get access denied. We've searched every avenue we can think of. Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas?

you might try "run as.." in an mmc console with remote computer management in it. We have different administration accounts on different computers (dont ask me why).. so sometimes we need to run as admin and other times as administrator

if you make an mmc console with the remote computer management snapin you can save it and then Run AS whatever admin account applys to that specific computer.

Hope that helps!

I have the same issue as JPGRIM above.

After upgrading from W2K to XP Pro, I get an "access denied" error when trying to view/administrate the
"Local users and groups" from another workstation. I also get the red "x" on it. Exactly the same behavior as the original post.

Has it been resolved yet?

Yes, we have resolved this issue. It's actually one registry entry that we had to change. I will post back with the exact details.

Alright, we got this solution from Microsoft techsupport. You actually have to change the permissions on a registry key. Give "everyone" read access to the following reg key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg". This has to be done for every computer you are trying to manage. We ran into this because we weren't able to use SMS on the computers that were upgraded. If you can't "manage", you can't SMS. Let me know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back