Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CANNOT MAKE SET ALL=PASS WORK

Status
Not open for further replies.

marketdata

Technical User
Mar 8, 2004
US
Hi
I've reac a couple of threads about left joins, and was hoping they would help in my current situation.

I thought that -SET ALL=PASS; would work to allow me to return unmatched records on a master table while using a where statement to govern the returns on the guest table.

unfortunately it does not seem to be working as described, and is behaving as an inner join.

I tried setting 'SQL EDA OPTIMIZATION ON' With no luck.

I'm working in wf 4.3 with eda connecting to informix database...

any help gettting the SET ALL= PASS to work as a left join would be much appreciated
M

Are you using -SET ALL=PASS or SET ALL=PASS (without the leading hyphen?

Actually, I've tried both ways, as well as with a ';' to no avail...

What does the leading hyphen do for me anyway, I've noticed while the conventions here (my place of work) seem to be to use it, on the forums, few people include it in their posts

thanks much

There are certain commands (Dialog Manager) that need to have the hypnen. Other SET commands (non-Dialog Manager) do not require them.

Have you tried extracting data from both files and using MATCH FILE logic with the appropriate OLD-NOT-NEW, OLD-AND-NEW, etc.

yes, actually I have, and the problem is performance, one of the tables involved is pretty big with little way to narrow it down.

I'm looking to use the set all=pass to leverage the performance of a join. the set all=on setting works, and the problem is that I am parameterizing a field of the guest table, which is why I am going with the set all = pass

Is there an optimization setting that I can use to make this work? or do I mis understand the purpose of set all = pass

If you only want unmatched records where rows in table A are NOT in table B, you should be doing a SET ALL=OFF. SET ALL=PASS will do an outer join. Do not use -SET &ALL. This is a totally different command that is used for debugging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back