Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot logon to W2K; no keyboard or mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

epsonuser

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
Emachines 633is running W2K; just moved PC and reconnected keyboard and mouse, tried to boot, unit gets to the admin login screen and I see that there is no cursor for the mouse and no keyboard Checked connectors and found one of the pins on keyboard folded over and thought was the problem, no change. Tried three totally different keyboards, no change, no cursor either. This is through PS/2 ports. Tried using an USB-PS/2 adaptor to run the keyboard, still no luck. How can I get into the Win2K to try and troubleshoot? Got me stumped...

can you get into safe mode? remember its f8

can u use the kbrd in bios?

Sounds dumb but I get it all the time!
Do you have the KB and mouse plugged into correct ports? Lots of my clients either swap them around or don't push them all the way in. Very common!Cheers....

Thanks for the replies, I should try to clarify further. The keyboard and mouse are in the correct ports, and neither is working. The keyboard is completely non functional, it does not respond during boot, I tried Esc and f8 during bootup, no response. The original problem started when a relative did the connections for me after the move. He said that the unit started, but he never acutally logged in. When I tried to login, I saw the kboard and mouse were not working, checked the connector and found one of the pins on the PS/2 plug bent on the KB. Straightened it out and tried again, no luck, tried the other keyboards. That is where I am at right now. Without some type of input control, i fear this thing is DOA...

Yep. It is possible to short a motherboard just by plugging/unplugging KB or mouse while puter is running. Sounds like you have a throw away job :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back