Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot logon to secure web pages!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexRacer

Technical User
Aug 6, 2001
US
I'm new to Windows 2000 professional and am having problems wqith secure web pages. It won't let me logon. I double checked all of my security settings and they all seem to be in order. I am also running IE 6.0 and set the security to low and I still cannot get into the pages. HELP!!!!! I need to do my web banking!!! Are there any known issues with this that I am not aware of? I did everything listed below also...

Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

Thanks...
E-RacerX

What security level do you have based on what the error message told you to do? If you are not in the US, I don't think you can use the 128 bit encryption due to US Export regulations. Nate Gagne
ngagne@numa-inc.com

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

I am from the US. Below you will see the page that comes up when I try to access secure sites... When I was running WinBlows ME and IE 5.5, I never had any problems...since switching I have not been able to log in to any of my accounts.

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Thank you very much for your response

E-RacerX X-)

If you click on Help/About Internet Explorer, what does the "Cipher Strength" line say? Nate Gagne
ngagne@numa-inc.com

Does this problem persist when you are logged in as Administrator? Nate Gagne
ngagne@numa-inc.com

Yes, that is prob I can't figure out! I am a home user so I am always logged on as the Admin

E-RacerX

I would recommend the simple, one sentence answer of "It's probably easiest to simply install IE 6"

I am running IE 6.0. See first post.
RacerX

Sorry... i missed that.....im wondering though...i remember intalling Win XP ( obviously with IE 6 ) and it doesnt work with my online banking either...however it does work with some secure pages....Im wondering if the encryption pack on IE 6 is actually Farther AHEAD than some Secure sites?! A temp fix is..instal Netscape

This raises a very good question that I didn't think about. I have looked on the Micro$oft Knowledge Base and have not found any issues with this. I haven't seen any posts with my issues on any tech site... so I am assuming that it is a problem on my end. There must be something that I am overlooking. Thanks for you help though. I'll keep looking.
I think that I might look into installing Netscape.

Thanks again

RacerX

I dont think it is just your problem. I am havin the same problem. I am running XP with IE6 and cannot log in to any secure server sites (hotmail, banking, etc). And this is the only reference i can find to someone else with the same problem anywhere. surely microsoft know about this?

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem!!! I still can't figure it out. I'm gonna try using ukjane's sugestion. I hope this works. If it doesn't work... Is there a way to uninstall IE 6???

Just as a kind of FYI I just installed IE6 on a test 98 machine and I have had no problems with secure web sites. I can get to my banking sites and any other site that is using SSL. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back