Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot log on to server 2003. . ."not enough storage"

Status
Not open for further replies.

10onrussel

Technical User
Jul 25, 2008
MW
Hi All,

I'm running Windows server 2003 on a Dell optiplex 170l machine (as a logon server) and started exepriencing weird issues with my active driectory and dns. . .

I restarted my server and when I tried to log on as administrator the following message was returned:
Not enough storage available to process this command.

I managed to re-start in safe mode and increased the IRPStackSize to 24 already but nothing changes. . . I found the following entry in the event log;
event 1517 source userenv
Windows saved user MRT\Administrator registry while an application or service was still using the registry during logoff. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. . .

Does have anything to do with my logon issue. . .what can I do to enable logon to the server???
Please help I have to get my server up before tomorrow. . .

Thanks in advance

FYI. . .

Windows could not unload the Classes registry file. . .

have you recently added any software or changed anything? i experienced that error (well similar to that error not exactly the same) this weekend and it was a software issue

(as a logon server)
I'm sure you mean as a Domain Controller.

IRPStackSize is more for clusters, which this doesn't appear to be. How much space on the OS drive? How much RAM? What other events in the logs?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Hi,

I did not add any software. . .I have been experiencing trouble with FRS at one of my remote sites as well as DNS. Found a repeated DNS error which I noted in event log. . .
User action in event log stated I had to restart some services, so I restarted the server and then this happened. There where a lot of other events. . .cant remember all of them though. . .

My question is.. . Is there something I can do in safe mode to overcome this logon issue?

please note that I am clearly not that capable when it comes to server issues. . .I am more of the project manager but have to double up as admin as well so I'm learning. . .

hi,
if I vave well understood, this is not a DC. Supposed this,
are you able to logon as local Administrator ?
or by another admin ?
If you can, try to delete profile of failed-login user
(System Properties, Advanced, user profiles...).
Save if you had, its documents (mydoc,dsktp).

Let me do just 2 extra questions (probably trivial):
- roaming profiles ?
- enough space on C ?

bye
vic

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. . .got it right this morning. . .
Started in safe mode and just disabled some services and bobs ur uncle. . .
I only have 512MB ram installed. I will have brand new equipment before the end of next week so I think Im sorted for now. . .
My entire domain is stuffed though. . .for I will bypass all the remote DC's and just connect to my master dc

But that we will rebuild next week as well. . .

Thanks a stack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back