Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot log in by RDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenhutchings

Programmer
Jan 11, 2005
GB
Hi All

I have set up a 2003 Server from scratch with domain controller, DNS and active directory.

What I want to do is create a user group who can access the server via RDC using active desktop but not allow them to shut the machine down. I have read thousands of suggestions but can get none of them to work - can anyone point me in the right direction / help me out

Thanks

Ok most of us here have the same setup. So i'm guessing this is a domain controller and not your terminal server. What happens if you go to gpedit.msc and edit who can or cannot log in remotely? Usually if you are a member of Administrators group or Remote Desktop group you're allowed to connect remotely to your domain controller. 1 user at console and 2 users max with RDP.

My bad. In your Win 2k3 DC, go to secpol.msc
Under local policies > user rights ...you can edit all the options you want like who can connect to it through RDP (i.e. "Allow log on through Terminal Services").

Just make sure you have RDP enabled and no firewall is getting in the way (port 3389).

Thanks all - I ran secpol.msi as suggested and it turned out that I had omitted to allow the RDC in Terminal Services. I also omitted to let you know that the Server is also a terminal server. Again many thanks

Not bad for a software developer!

Glad it worked. I learned all this from experience and asking questions on this forum too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back