Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot locate a Print Server on Network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxEgg

Programmer
Mar 24, 2002
AU
We have a small office network.

One of the machines developed a W200 driver problem so I installed XP PRo (ie a New Install) ... the install went well AND I can see all of the computers on the Network

EXCEPT

the one print server that I need ... (It is called George)

The other computers on the network can see George... Both XPPro and W2000 machines ... but not this XP unit

I added NetBeui (just in case) ....no luck
I assigned a fixed IP address ....no luck

Perplexing really

I should add that generally network access is slower on this machine too, but I am uncertain if that is relevant.

John S Fox

By the way George is a DLink DP300 device

If you can't see George and all the other pcs can, then it's a DNS problem. Try manually adding DNS server name (IP)
and also try connecting to george via IP \\165.54.21.33

Sorry, the ip address was just an example. First do ping from any pc that can connect and then get the ip

Thanks M'Lord...

I tried pinging George from a computer that CAN see George...

Error Message "Unknown Host George"

There is another Printserver on the net called Netgear.. When I ping Netgear I get the same error message... Meanwhile all the computers PING fine...

Do Print servers PING ?

What am I missing here ?

JF

Alsp pinged from a second computer that sees George

Nope.. same error message,,, both will print to George

JF

If you can't ping it, from the pc that can print to the server, then you're using the wrong DNS name.

Try a ping -a 999.999.999.999 (substitue 9's with the printer servers ip address) and you'll then see the dns name.

Try pinging yourself 127.0.0.1

Thnks M'lud..

But the same persists..

#1 I cannot ping any print server fom any machine
#2 There is only one machine that will not see that George

it sees all the other computers .... and the other print server.

I tried a DLink Print server re-install///

I went back and rebooted with a Win 2000 previous install.. same machine and bingo !!! it can see George.... (but the screen drivers are corrupt so it only works in Safe Mode with networking

So ... it seems to be XP related to this machine only.

BEATS ME ~~

How can I ping a print server ?

JF

How can I ping a print server ?"

By using the IP Address.. if you can not ping by the server's name, then that is a DNS problem. However there should be absolutely no problem doing everything by IP.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Hold, on think people may be mixing up shares with DNS & IP addresses. We need to clarify one thing. Is the Print Server or Printer called George? It's unlikely your print server has a name, just an IP address.
The printer is most likley shared as George, you cannot ping shares.
Go onto one of the 2K machines and look at the printer.
If it looks like the printer has a bar under it, it is almost certainly a shared printer.
Go into the Properties > Ports. It will have the IP address in there.
Then on the XP machine, create as a local printer and create an new TCP/IP port with that IP address. Now it should work.
This is a work around not a fix.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Very true.. wasn't thinking he might have been referring to the share instead of the actual server... star for you

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back