Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot load Programs without system rebooting, or getting fatal err... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariah

Technical User
Nov 10, 2001
US
Hi...I have had three system crashes this past week. I finally was able to load Windows 98 SE and run it for 24 hours without it crashing on me. I have been unable to load any programs without getting the dreaded blue screen (fatal errors)...or without my system all of a sudden rebooting itself in the middle of my trying to load a program (Microsoft PictureIt Publishing 2001). Can anyone please give me a solution and tell me why this keeps happening. I did not have a problem with my system until I downloaded AOL 7.0...........BIG MISTAKE!!! About 2 days after downloading the infamous 7.0...my system crashed, and it was running perfect to that point.
Thanks for all your help!!
Mariah

I have an ASUS A7M266 Socket A Motherboard AMD761 Chipset with 512 mb DDR ram...900 mhz cpu...Windows 98SE OS...the usual cd rom drive, floppy drive, LS 120 disk drive, Yamaha 16/10/40 CD Read/Writer, 40 gig Western Digital Hard Drive..built in sound on the motherboard, Nvida GForce 2MX 200 Video card, 56K modem.
I didn't have this problem before I downloaded and installed AOL 7.0....I have heard of others having problems with their systems after downloading 7.0, especially if they are using win98se. People who are using Windows XP seem not to have any problems with AOL 7.0, or at least that is what I am told.
I just can't figure out why I am unable to load any programs, especially graphic programs. My system will inadvertantly reboot itself or give me a fatal error and the install stops, and I have to reboot.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks...Mariah

For future reference....

One of the best things about 98, is that it keeps a backup of the registry for the past 5 days, or more with ini file editting. Re-loading the system will not fix registry errors.

Try hitting F8 on startup, choose command prompt only. At the c: prompt, type:
cd\windows\command
then type:
scanreg /restore
and choose a date prior to the problem.

reghakr

Is 7.0 a upgrade for you? If so, what happens when you uninstall it?

Why do you run windows 98 for 24 hours? Are you insane? windows 98 is no good at extended use. it does more wear on the computer to leave it on as well. it's a good rule to turn your computer off if you are going to be away for more than 15/ 20 minutes. Saves electricity too. Computers are not like cars, starting them does far less harm then leaving them on. Also, you may have cheap/ bad memory (ram) and might think of swapping it for a better brand. If it is oem memory, i'd yank it out in a heartbeat. Also, look to invest in norton system works. Lovely program that fixes the registry that microsoft couldn't right. Usualy after a fresh install, it finds 8-20 errors in the registry alone. Heat may also be a problem, combined with cheap memory. Cheap memory is VERY susceptible to heat. I'm willing to bet it either just locks up on you, or you get a blue screen saying FATAL EXCEPTION OE.... as occured (the OE part of that error is the only one that realy matters, it tells you what the error means. its always O something, like O7 or Od) if you are getting these, post it, i'll tell you what it means. Fatal Exception OE means in a nutshell, bad memory. Check out microsofts website about the blue screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back