Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot load application

Status
Not open for further replies.

waydown

Programmer
Apr 27, 2009
GB
Hi,
I'm trying to load an application on unix server but when it does system check I keep on getting following error message and application will not load.
Code:
Your PHP Version is 5.6.22, but always_populate_raw_post_data = 0. $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated from PHP 5.6 onwards and will be removed in PHP 7.0. This will stop the installer from running. Please open your php.ini file and set always_populate_raw_post_data to -1. If you need more help please call your hosting provider.
As suggested by my hosting provider I've created php.ini file and put
Code:
always_populate_raw_post_data = -1
into file and placed in public_html folder. But it is not solving problem. Any suggestion as to what I should do to solve problem? I'm completely new to all this. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Again, the message says "This will stop the installer from running.". PHP can't know it runs an installer, there is no convention or standard telling PHP it runs an installer and so this message is coming from the installer itself, in my simply deduction. The only unusual thing about it is, this message means the installer is talking about itself in third person, or more precise, the developer decided for such a third person message to the end user running the installer.

You seem to be labouring under the misconception that this 'installer' is something different and separate from PHP ... It won't be, based on the available information it WILL be also written in PHP and therefore subject to the same error messages, warnings, alerts and exceptions that may be raised during it's lifetime, that ANY PHP script is subject to.

Just like Joomla!, WordPress, vBulletin, Simple Machines Forum, phpBB, fluxBB and so on, it is going to be a PHP script that sets some configurations, a database and maybe extracts the rest of the scripts from an archive or a 'tarball'.

'installer' is merely the label given to the script because of the function(s) it performs rather than it being a M$ Windows type of 'self-contained installer' executable.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

We are talking about the same thing, indeed, an installer like that of Joomla!, WordPress, vBulletin, etc.

Yes, they will display PHP errors, but none of them will contain the word installer. Let me now say I KNOW that PHP will not put out a message containing the mere word "installer". If you name your script installer.php the message could contain that - installer.php - but it would say installer.php, not merely installer.

I have very good reason to strongly and well educated not only assume but deduct the message is coming from the installer itself and not from PHP. The first part of it might be a repetition of what the installer error handler has from a PHP exception error message, but the part saying the installer stops is not coming from PHP itself and even the part telling about the current PHP version rather seems to the installer itself doing phpversion() to find out about PHP and what settings therefore should be set to which values or not at all set, the installer - like any good installer - is aware of the problems, which can arise from some settings.

The installer stops and the bad thing about it is, the installer has the wrong idea about the setting. We got to the bottom of that by doing simple PHP ourselves and ini_get is showing the correct setting. So the installer php script has to be addressed and debugged itself to see why it sees another setting than our small ini_get script.

What could also be the case is a two level system, like you have with XAMPP and the bitnami system of installing apps. The bitnami part of php code could talk about the started installer in third person. But that's more about explaining the grammar than the technological problem, it doesn't matter, in the end it's php code handling the prerequisites before any error occurs, giving out a user friendly status/warning message and then saying it won't continue from this point on, you know such message screens from any of the aforementioned products, Chris. The only problem here is a false positive warning. I would solve this in temporarily removing the part of the installer checking the setting. More cautious perhaps check why it has the wrong idea about it.

The error points out the installer knows about the deprecation, tries to avoid it by asking for the correct setting, a more intelligent installer developer wold perhaps just use ini_set at this point, perhaps also a reason to assume he doesn't know about ini_get and continuing that line of thought uses some overly complicated way to find out the setting parsing a php.ini.

The overall pragmatic solution might also be: a) find a hoster with a newer PHP version or b) a newer installer version. Or a harder route: c) try the installer on localhost with a few PHP versions (you can install several PHP versions in parallel and configure Apache or IIS to use one of them for each install experiment).

Also look at readme/prerequisites of the installer, the vendor might specify which minimum and perhaps also maximum version of PHP it works with.

Bye, Olaf.

Some where, some time ago while reading about writing XML/WSDL service in PHP I found that using file_get_contents('php://input'); over $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is the recommended approach to avoid said error/problem.

NOTICE: I have ONLY read this but cannot even start elaborating on its accuracy

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back