Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot join domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetam

Technical User
Sep 28, 2007
US
i've just setup Windows 08 server (enterprise) and really having difficult time joining the new domain.

the error message saying it can't contact the DNS server.

the client machine is Vista and using static ip. I assign the server's ip as gateway to the client pc.

i also install the DNS role but don't know the next configuration step.

i am new to this...so please help!

Have you setup an Active Directory domain yet?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

yes. and these are the roles that I installed:
- AD domain service
- DNS
- Files server
- Printer server

Have you set the server as the DNS server for the vista machine?

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

My Blog

no, and i don't know how to do that.

well, i set the server's ip as DNS on my Vista machine and it's working. however, i can't access the internet, can't login into the client machine using the password that assign from the server, and third, it's the same user profile.

thanks!

You need to change the default gateway from the server to your router.

Denny

My Blog

thanks denny!

do you know why i still have the same user profile and the same login? so instead of using the login provided by AD DC, i still have to use the login as if the Vista pc is a stand alone.

The local account you created will still exist on the local machine. After you connect the machine to the domain you can still log on as the local account. When you are at the logon screen click ther other user button on the logon screen and enter the domain username and password.

Denny

My Blog

wonderful and thanks again Denny.

another question...

how do i point a share drive on the server so the client machine can save its files (like pst and doc stuff so i will only backup the files stuff on the server). i am not referring to map the share drive onto the client machine but rather having a profile path on the user profile within AD DC so that when a user login, they'll access the files that are on the server only and save their files to this network drive only and not the local disc.

thanks a bunch!

Do a google search for folder redirection. That's what you are looking for. It can be set through the GPO.

Denny

My Blog

I can't configure the policy because the UserProfileFolderName doesn't exist. my guess is I might have to do something to a user's profile and dont' know how.

below are the instructions, but again, there's not UserProfileFolderName on step 2.

You can use Group Policy to specify another location (in other words, "redirect" the location) for folders within user profiles. You can redirect folders either to one location for everyone or to various locations based on the security group membership of users. You can also configure additional settings for the redirected folder. The settings you can configure include whether to grant exclusive user rights to the folder, move the contents of the folder to the new location, apply redirection policy to earlier Windows operating systems, or specify system behavior if the policy is removed.

To specify the location of folders in a user profile

1. In the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) tree, right-click the Group Policy object (GPO) that is linked to the site, domain, or organizational unit that contains the users whose user profile folders you want to redirect, and then click Edit.

2. In the Group Policy Management Editor window, right-click the user profile folder you want to redirect. The path to the user profile folder is User Configuration \ Windows Settings \ Folder Redirection \ UserProfileFolderName

In the Target tab, under Settings, choose one of the following settings, follow the steps for that setting, and then click OK:

Basic—Redirect everyone's folder to the same location

Under Target folder location, select a location.

If you want to redirect the folder to a specific location, select Create a folder for each user under the root path or Redirect to the following location, and then click Browse to specify a location.

If you want to specify additional redirection settings for the folder, click the Settings tab to configure any of the following settings, and then click OK:

Grant the user exclusive rights to the folder (selected by default).

Move the contents of the folder to the new location (selected by default).

Apply redirection policy from Windows Vista to earlier Windows operating systems.

Specify policy removal settings (Leave the folder in the new location when policy is removed is selected by default).

Advanced—Specify locations for various user groups

Under Security Group Membership, click Add.

Under Security Group Membership, click Browse to find the security group.

Under Target folder location, select a location.

If you want to redirect the folder to a specific location, select Create a folder for each user under the root path or Redirect to the following location, and then click Browse to specify a location.

If you want to specify additional redirection settings for the folder, click the Settings tab to configure any of the following settings, and then click OK:

Grant the user exclusive rights to [FolderName] (selected by default).

Move the contents of [FolderName] to the new location (selected by default).

Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems.

Specify Policy Removal settings (Leave the folder in the new location when policy is removed is selected by default).

Follow the documents folder

This option is available only for the Music, Pictures, and Videos folders. This selection will follow any settings you make for the Documents folder, and resolves any issues related to naming and folder structure differences between Windows Vista and earlier Windows operating systems. If you choose this option, you will not be able to configure any additional redirection options or policy removal options for these folders and settings will be inherited from the Documents folder.

What do you have under the "User Configuration \ Windows Settings \ Folder Redirection \ " branch?

Denny

My Blog

I have:

-AppData(roaming)
-Desktop
-StarMenu
-Documents
-Picture
-Music
-Video
-Favorites
-Links
-Search
-Saved Games

The "UserProfileFolderName" referers to the various folders that you listed. Those that you listed are the folders which are available for redirection.

Denny

My Blog

another question Denny,

the GPO that I created doesn't apprear to work, samething with the Security Setting - account policy or maybe i just did the whole thing incorretly.

So, I created a group within the Domain, says for the Sales group. create a new GPO for Sales. few things i am not sure here: if i pick the Basic - redirect everyone to same folder and direct it to a shared drive. and i created a folder that resides on the local c drive of the server and point to it...like \\servername\c:\sales or \\servername\sales. but this is not working for me.

I've also created a new OU within the Domain named it Sales and add the user and the group there.

so what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back