Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot join domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollyS

Programmer
Jan 28, 2001
PH
For the life of me, I don't understand why only my Win 2000 Pro (SP2) machine cannot join the domain while the rest of the machines running on WIn98Se can. I always get this error:
The following error occured attempting to join the domain
"<mydomain>":
The network path was not found.

Be assured that i've done all the configuration correct, the IP, subnet mask, etc.

Can somebody tell me how to solve this? It doesn't make any sense.

By the way, the server is running on Win2000Server with SP2.
Thanks in advance

Can you ping the server?

Are you sure your NIC is functioning correctly and has the latest drivers?

Don't laugh, but is the cable in good shape?

This could be a hardware issue if you're positive the network configuration is correct, though I would double check the setup anyway.

Hope this helps,
Martin

All your questions are answered unequivocably "YES!" In fact I have no trouble accessing the SERVER's shared "$" folders. It's just I cannot join its domain. By the way, correction, it's SP4 not SP2 that's installed. Thanks.

hi rollys

are you logged on as the administrator of that machine when trying to add to the domain?

other than that you could try checking the DNS settings on the workstation - making sure you can ping it. You can also try nslookup to make sure the workstation points to the correct DNS.

good luck

chronos1 is on the right track.

Here's a big trick that it took me a while to find:

* The PC's primary DNS Server MUST know about your (NT or AD) Domain Controller.

The easiest way to ensure this is to run DNS on the DC and use it as the primary DNS provider for the PCs.

The reason is that for Win-2K and above (basically AD), Microsoft assumed that every PC and every network is attached to the Internet, and using a real Internet Domain Name.

Seumas
Martinez, CA

I'm sorry but I only know the IP Address and Subnet Mask when it comes to Networking. I've heard this DNS thing, yeah, but not enough to configure it. I'd appreciate it if you can explain to me how to go about
configuring this. Thanks.

it may also be worth trying re-applying the service pack. I hd it this week after recovering a box, I couldn't add it back to the domain. reapplied sp4 and it worked :eek:S

Question 1: Is DNS configured and running as a Service on your Domain Controller Server?

Question 2: Do you manage the Domain Controller?

If the answer to #1 is, "I don't know" and the answer to #2 is, "no" - then try this:

1 - From Network Properties, TCP/IP configuration, click the "Advanced" button.

2 - Now click on the DNS Tab

2.5 - If necessary, un-check the "get DNS information from DHCP server" (not sure of exact wording) box.

3 - enter the IP Address of your Server (Domain Controller) in the DNS box.

4 - Click "Add"

5 - Click "OK" until all the Network boxes are gone.

Re-boot if Windows suggests you should.

If that doesn't help, DNS is not running on the Server, and you need to find out the Address of the DNS Server the Domain Controller uses.

I hope this helps!

Seumas

Thanks, guys, now I was able to join the domain. But now I encountered a different problem. See when I logged into the domain using an account that has Administrator rights, I cannot run my VB6 - I cannot even set the time. I don't know what gives. I already checked countless times if my account has really got Administrator rights and Yes it has! Both on my Windows2000Pro as well as Windows2000Server. Can you tell me guys what's wrong? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back