Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot join a win2k pc to a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowledgeisnetworkin

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2004
US
I have a basic hub with 5 computers. (1)Windows 2000 Server which I created a domain called testingcenter.com. Now of the (4) other pcs i have all of which are 2000 pro, I want to join to the testingcenter.com domain. when i try joining it says that:

The following error occurred validating the name "testingcenter.com". This condition may be caused by DNS lookup problem. The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

No I know its a DNS thing but I am not sure if I set up my DNS properly on the DC. I created a foward lookup zone, and added the IP of the testingcenter.com, also created the reverse lookup zone 192.168.0.x, now needless to say DNS is not my strong suit so I set it up as best as I knew how.

can someone let me know what i did wrong, and/or what I need to do to get these other pcs joined to the domain

Thanks

More than likely the problem is with the DNS settings on your workstation. verify that the client is configured with the IP of your internal DNS and not that of your ISP.

Within DNS, make sure that you have added your ISP DNS in the Forwarders property and be sure that the server NIC is configured with itself as DNS server and not the ISP DNS.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I hear ya but this I am on a lab setting and just connected through a hub. I dont have the hub uplinked. I agree that this is a dns issue b/c thats how the prospective pc's look for the DC. through dns. I will try some diff things and let you guys know.

thanks

How do you have the IP stack configured on the workstations?

Are they statically set or pulling addresses via dhcp?

If dhcp what is your zone configuration?

If the workstations are trying to get a dhcp IP stack config and there is no properly configured zone they will pull APIPA numbers - 169.254.?.?

They won't be able to communicate with the 192.168.0.x network

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back