Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot install win98SE on HP-Compaq d220 mt

Status
Not open for further replies.

accuransx

Programmer
Sep 23, 2000
MY
My HP-Compaq d220 MT comes with pre-loaded windows XP, Intel 845G Chipset and NR138 BIOS ver 1.09. I want to downgrades it to Windows 98 SE but faced few installation problems. I cannot install directly on the machine, i had to plug it hardisk to older PC and setup my windows 98SE there until completion, then mount it back to my d220...it runs but still have motherboard resources conflict, IDE controller conflict plus few other conflicts.

Do anybody have the same problem? Any ideas or suggestion? Something related to newer BIOS/Chipset that does not support win98 anymore?

The problem is, Since you installed on your older PC, all the drivers were installed for the hardware in that PC.
And since the PC is you put the harddrive in has different hardware this will not now recognise it.
What proplems were you having originally when you were installing it onto the new machine?

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

I agree with you in terms of specs difference, but from my experience win98 will re-detect all hardware & software...but this is not the main problem, this is just one of the method i've tried because i cannot install windows 98 SE on my HP-Compaq d220 mt, my actual problem are:

1. I want to downgrade my OS from win xp to windows98, but Windows 98 cannot be installed on my HP-Compaq d220, but the preloaded windows xp runs ok
2. Why is this happened? Does newer BIOS or chipset does not support win98 anymore?
3. Is there any steps to do like downgrading BIOS/Chipset to be able Windows 98 to run?

Need expert help, please

First thing is to fdisk the computer and remove the second partition. (non dos partition) Then create a new partition using fat32 (not NTFS) Put your win98se disk in and it should autostart and install. You will need to go out to the Compaq site and get drivers for your computer before it will all run correctly.

Yes, I agree with franklin
Create boot disks:

Fdisk tutorial:
Common 98 issues:

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

ALSO THERES THIS SOFTWARE FOR FUTURE REFERENCES CALLED PC CERTIFY U CAN GET THA AND BASICALLY REMOVES YOUR CURRENT WIN SET UP AND MAKE IT EASY FOR YOU TO PARTITION YOUR DISK AND WHEN ITS DONE IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY WILL ASK YOU TO INSTALL ANY OS

i've tried all these partioning method, even done a low level format, still my windows installation still messy. The best i can do is plugged the hardisk to another machine, do installation there & plug it back to my d220 - but there are so many resource conflicts that i cannot change their resource settings.
If i do installation of win98 on the d220, it always failed - cannot finish installation at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back