Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot install USB printer, "The specified port is unknown"

Status
Not open for further replies.

aroostook

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2005
US
I cannot install a HP Deskjet D2300-series printer. The installation process tells me "The specified port is unknown." I try to install manually (select a port), and the only port options are TCP/IP port and Local Port. Where is the USB port???

The Device Manager shows that USB Printing Support is installed (looking at the device manager via Devices by Connection shows the USB printing support connected thru the USB root hub, which looks right to me).

How can I get a USB printing port to show up? Thanks.

You should uninstall it and any copies and unplug the usb cable. Then with the computer running and printer on, plug in the cable and let XP find it. I've found that if I install a printer driver, then add the printer, I get multiple installs.

You can add the port but I only do it for remote usb printers on a print server

Except that the port IS already uninstalled. There's another computer here with a USB printer. When I check the ports on that computer, it lists the USB printer port as USB001, a 'virtual' printer port. If I run the same install routine on THIS computer, that port never appears. And, at the end of the install, I get "The specified port is unknown." It's like the installation routine is /trying/ to connect the printer to this 'virtual' printer port, but it doesn't exist. Anywhere. I've already tried plugging and unplugging the USB cable, uninstalling and re-installing the USB printer, etc. If I were to plug the usb cable in with the computer and printer on, I /still/ get "The specified port is unknown" when XP is done with the install. And, of course, no printer in Printer and Faxes.

So, I'm still stuck. :(

I am assuming that the printer is being connected directly to the computer. You uninstall the printer, not the port. Does the printer manual tell you to install the software first and then the printer or to plug in the printer and then install the drivers.
To test the computers usb ability, can you install the other printer or another usb device.
Maybe you have a defective printer or cable.
What is the environment, is this an office? Do you have network printers.

The USB printer had already worked on this computer. I had to uninstall the printer and run the cleanspl tool (as directed in the link above) to try to fix another problem. Plugging the USB printer in is fine: XP recognizes it is there, but there's no printer port for it to connect to (i.e.: LPT1, etc). On every other computer here with a USB printer, in the Ports tab on the printer, it will list USB001 as a virtual printer port. This does not exist on this user's computer. I've tried other printers and cables. The problem is inside Windows itself.

Looking at the registry (via regedit) I see that the USB Monitor is no longer in the registry (inside HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Print/Monitors). I believe this was the thing I deleted by accident using the cleanspl.exe power tool. I need /desparately/ to get that back in there. I'm assuming that will fix the problem.

You could try manually re entering the info copied from another pc.
A simple fix may be to delete the root hub and then have XP discover it.
Most usb printer ports are not editable so I am not sure how you would do that.

Hi I'm Pablo from Argentina and i read this thread today because I have the same trouble.
Sorry, my English is too bad!!

I have already solved this problem.I had to replace the file windows\system32\usbmon.dll (it was damaged). I looked for the file of another PC with XP PRO to replace it, then I re-install usb-printer drivers and it work!!!
Thanks aroostook for open my mind when you wrote...(inside HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Print/Monitors)... in this location I found "usbmon.dll" and I thought...

Please if you try and resolve it...let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back