Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot install Spy Sweeper or Microsoft AntiSpyware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2003
US
Hi All,

Good morning.

I am unable to install Microsoft Antispyware ver 6.14 OR Spy Sweeper ver 4 onto my newly built Windows XP system with Service Pack2.

I am running the new Zone Lab's Free firewall - ZoneAlarm version 6 (beta client) and I've installed Symantec Antivirus 9.0.2 on the new PC system.

When I am trying to run the install program of both Microsoft Antispyware OR Spy Sweeper, it"ll display an error message saying that "Cannot write to registry: Click "Abort, Retry or Ignore? " and then the install program will fail.

If I ignore the above message, when the SpySweeper starts it"ll crash.
I've a concern that something is preventing me installing the spyware and my newly built PC system might be prone to spyware programs.

Kindly help/advise me.
Thanks.

Possible causes:

1. Installation using standard user account rather than administrator (registry access). If this is the case you can resolve the issue by logging in as administrator to install the required software.

2. Symantec AV may be blocking registry changes (I'm not familiar with this version, but Symantec software generally likes to do this sort of thing). Check the logs to establish whether this is the case. If so, then unplug any network connections, disable AV and install, remembering to reenable AV before restoring internet access.

3. If neither 1 or 2 is the issue, run an online scan using TrendMicro or BitDefender to check for current infection and post back.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Hi Tazuk,

Thanks for the help.
Un-installed Symantec Antivirus and Zone Alarm firewall and rebooted the PC system.

Re-installed the SpySweeper on the machine and it installed clean. Then I installed Symantec Antivirus and Zone Alarm firewall.

After a reboot, the Symantec antivirus, Spysweeper and Zone alarm firewall are all working fine.

Glad to hear you sorted it out. Thanks for posting back.

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Hello,

Thought the issue was resolved but, after a day, when I switch on my PC system, the Spysweeper program is still crashing. Is that something to do with the Symantec Antivirus or the Zone Alarm 6 firewall (beta)?

Help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

RiazAhamed

This link:

You will see that there are some serious issues with the ZA 6 beta release.

Have removed this beta version from two desktops on Friday, had problems similar to yours.

Revert to ZA 5.5 and test to see if this eradicates the problem, you must remove the beta version first.
As you are probably aware, take care when testing any beta release as they tend to be buggy and should be used on a test pc.

Link for ZA 5.5 download:
Good luck

Ted

"The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell into the Thames, it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity."
Benjamin Disraeli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back