Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot install software receive errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerboy

MIS
Jan 17, 2006
US
application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006)

i am trying to install a piece of software but keep getting hte above error message.
i am running windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates.
P4 2.6 processor 1 GB ram

i cannot install in safe mode, and i am an administrator. also i cannot seem to intall any programs right now.

Try reregestering msiexec.exe. Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type the following line, and then click OK:

msiexec /regserver.

Various Error Messages When MSI File Creates and Modifies Files and Registry Keys

Overview of the Windows Installer Technology

Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available

How to Enable Windows Installer Logging in Windows XP

Run the Disk Cleanup tool to clean out your Temp files; and also manually clear out any files in your username Temp folder in this location. You may have to show Hidden and show System files to see the Temp folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\UserNamexxxx\Local Settings\Temp

A clean out of the files in the Prefetch folder in the Windows folder won't hurt either, as they will be recreated as you start programs.

Are there any clues in your Event Viewer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back