Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot install Option Pack 4 (IIS4) on NT Server/Workstation w/ sp6

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuti

MIS
Apr 18, 2001
US
Cannot install option pack 4 (want to install iis 4.0) onto server or workstation. First receive message that option pack has not been tested on os with service pack > 4( I have sp6a). I click Yes to proceed with the installation. Then I receive the message that Invalid program arguments were specified.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

There are two ways of installing the option pack afeter you get this error message. By far the easiest is to reinstall the last service pack. In my case when I am building a server this is SP3. The other involves playing with the netlogon service and is not a route I would recommend.

Install IIS 2.0 and then run the 4.0 install to write over it.

Installed IIS 2.0, and tried to run IIS 4.0 over it. Get the same error message. Thanks though.

Did you try re-dloading NT Opt Pack?

You could, quite possibly have a corrupt dload, unless you are sure it worked before.

I actually had this problem before and finally got past it. I cannot remember exactly what I did as it was a long time ago, but try the following:-

1) Check the event log.
2) Reinstall Internet Explorer.
3) Reinstall the latest service pack.
4) Check to make sure the NetLogon and Computer Browser services are running or you will get an error.
5) Go to Control Panel and double-click Services. Next, make sure that the NT LM Security Support Provider service is running.
6) Try the install. Hope this works.
7) Don't ping - that won't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back