Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot install BE 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgilmore

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
US
Hello. I have recently uninstalled Backup Exec 7.3 from a NT Server 4.0, SP4 due to problems I was having with the backups. I tried to reinstall BE and I am able to get all of the way through the installation with no problems. However, when I go into Backup Exec for the first time a dialog box comes up: Backup Exec; Physical volume library database- connection has been lost. Check your network connection to the BE dtatbase server. I click okay and then another box comes up stating that the Application System Service is not responding. I am unable to access anything in BE. I have only installed BE on this machine not a remote computer.

I checked the services and they are not loaded for Backup Exec. I have uninstalled and reinstalled serveral times with no luck.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

TGilmore

Have you tried deleting the user account for the service that BE is using, and search the registry for any refs to BE and delete them.

After uninstalling BE7.3, delete the file pvl.mdb in the veritas programfolder. Then install Be7.3. If the BE services fails to start after installation, do an extra reboot of the server. It did solve the problem here.

Hello. Thank you both for your suggestions, however, I am still not able to reinstall BE 7.3. I went through the registry and deleted anything having to do with the program, or so I think. I deleted the pvl.mdb file. The weird thing is, when I install the program I receive no errors. When I go into the program that's when the error message pops up. What's even stranger is there are no services in the service applet in the control panel! None what so ever. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
TGilmore

Tgilmore,

Did you really install Be7.3 on the NT4 server or from a workstation to the NT4 server?
Are you using Netware services or IIS on the NT4?
Can you try to install a higher Service Pack for NT, because SP4 is not a good service pack? (lots of bugs)
Can you provide more information about the services and programs running on your server?

Steviewonder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back