Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot install any antivirus or visit antivirus web pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyg

IS-IT--Management
Nov 9, 2002
GB
Hi

My client has a Windows Media Centre edition (XP Pro) and they had Norton internet security installed, they say all was OK until they had a problem with their broadband connection and BT (UK) told them to lower the security settings on their NAV.

Since then their connection was very slow and stopped connecting, that is when they called me.

I ran Avast Antivirus and it detected about 9 entries for Sasser and removed them, I then ran SpyBot and removed about 50 spyware entries.

We were then able to connect to the internet, however there were still virus problems.

So I tried to start NAV and the NAV GUI would would appear for about 15 seconds then disappear.

I then removed the NAV but during the process it could not complete various file removeals.

I then loaded an older version of NAV (2003) and that seemed to go OK, when I ran my intelligent updater software it appeared to work but when I opend the NAV GUI it had not been updated, also the live update would not work.

I then tried to visit the Symantec web site for help and the browser would not let me go to the page (redirected me to a search page), I then tried AVG and the browser did the same, I then tried McAfee and the browser again sent me to the search page, but all other pages would open normally, so it appears I have a virus that stops you visiting anti virus sites.

The customer has asked if I can do a non destructive repair for them on the system, if I do this do you think it will remove the virus that is causing the problems, or is this a problem that someone has an answer to.

=======

2 heads are better than 1, but 1 is better than a committee.

Is it possible that both antivirus products were running when you attempted to remove Norton? Was 'System Restore' turned off when you removed several viruses - otherwise, such removals may not stick?

The following link may prove helpful to cleanup your failed Norton uninstall:

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility

Situation:
This document describes how to remove Norton AntiVirus 5.0/2000/2001/2002 or 2003 using the Rnav2003.exe utility after uninstalling through Add/Remove Programs fails.

Thereafter your should consider running 'Hijack THis' and posting a log should you require assistance.

You could check for hosts file modifications.

You could try online virus scans from smah's faq to see if one of them was missed in blocking lists.

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

I had a similar problem. I went to PC-Cillan's site and used their online scanner and it found 236 viruses. After cleaning them all off, I was able to install and update Norton.

make sure to boot to 'safe mode with networking' when you run any virus scan (on-line or locally installed program), otherwise the virus may interfere with the scan, and provide you with inacurate or incomplete results.

- James.

Hi

Thank you for still posting but we ended up doing a non destructive restore and all is now OK, we have reinstalled the Norton IS and all seems secure.

Thanks again.

=======

2 heads are better than 1, but 1 is better than a committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back