Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot hear callers on an IP Softphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallGuyinIT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2004
US
We are using a Definity S8500 system. I recently had to replace my PC requiring re-installation of the IP Softphone on my PC. I can no longer hear callers when using the IP Softphone. The caller can hear me when I speak. This was working on my old PC.
My speakers appear to be working fine. I can hear the phone ring and all other sounds (web conferencing, videos, cds, etc.). The audio monitor display shows that the sounds are being transmitted. I did change from Windows 2000 to Windows-XP with the new computer. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Confirm your speed on the Login screen is LAN/100Mg...

Thanks,
CJH

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

I do not see anything on the login screen that specifies the connection speed. I connect to the lan at 1.0/Gig.

When that happened to me, I found out my gateway IP was the same IP as the switch. So outside my network, I could only hear and not talk. Just a suggestion.

Could be a number of things. Maybe a codec compatability setting between network regions. Under Audio options check your bandwidth setting. Try LAN as a setting. If that doesn't work try the Cable, XDSL, ISDN setting.

None of the above has helped.
I cannot ping the IP address that is displayed as the destination in the audio monitor. Would that be the problem? If yes, does that require a reboot of the Definity System to fix?

You don't need to reboot the Definity to fix an IP softphone problem. It really sounds like a codec problem. Take a look at the IP interface of the clan that you are logging into. That IP interface will have a network region. Usually 1 by default. Now display that network region. What codec are you using? G711 or G729 or something else? Now if you are using G711, on the login screen of IP softphone you must configure the bandwidth setting to "local area network" If you are using G729 you need to set the bandwidth setting to "dsl/cable".

Another thing to check is ports being blocked by your firewall. Have you firewall admin check to make sure that the ports in your network region X are not blocked by the firewall. That range of ports (all UDP) must be open to the IP addresses of your medpro(s) or you will have no audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back