Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot get OS to load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am building a computer, and when i go to load the OS on it freezes. I have tried Win2k and it loads windows if i turn off the cache and shadowing, but then it freezes at the splash screen. Then i tried to load ME (i know, but it was just the only other OS i could get my hands on) and that blue screens when it goes the the setting up hardware section of the install. here are the components in my PC:

shuttle spacewalker mainboard
1.4 athlon thunderbird
60 gig 7200 RPM WD HDD
32Mb Gforce 2
Sound Blaster Platinum
256 DDR RAM
generic DVD, floppy drives
HP CDRW
Kingston NIC

First I'd double check the HCL lists for the hardware you have.
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/whql/HCL/

Before you go any further, check your hardware setup and when you are 100% sure that everything is ok, check it again. Make particular attention to the orientation of heat sink on Zif socket, Your CPU is not fried and you have a healthy RAM.

Then repost
Good luck

I would say that you're running too hot. When you boot, go into the BIOS and let it sit for ten minutes or so to see (approx) what temps you're running. It's probably under something like hardware monitoring.

If you're over 50C or so, I would strongly suggest putting in a case fan or two.

It could also be a bad controller on the motherboard. I had a system, PII 266 that ran fine, but when tried to install new hardware, it would take over 30 mintues to build an information data base as well as freeze up about half way. Then when I wiped the drive clean, it would not load, XP at all, always fail loading the beginning, and winME would fail as soon as the mouse or keyboard was touched. Replaced the MB and then it was fine! Have you tried installing with out any other hardware on the motherboard? Just the video and ram. It's worth a try.
fedto [cheers]

thanks for the tips i will try them later tonite. i have tried switching motherboards and loading it with the bare essentials: board, processor, floppy, cdrom, hard drive. but still no luck. i will check the heat sink and temps...thanks.

The heatsink issue can even catch the expert out "first time around" (recess in base positioned over the Zif SOCKET "A" writing.
Also if you had a thermal pad on the base of the CPU this is a use only once item, clean it completely off and apply a thin layer of heat transfer paste.
In a moderate climate with a decent heatsink fan and a couple of case fans 1.4 Athlon's idle in the mid 40's, and max in the very low 50's (roughly) 60C is absolute max for stability. AMD say 70C is sustained max but is too high for a stable system. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Hi I've got the same problem and it's killing me - I've got a spaccewalker shuttle,1.8 athlon xp, 256 mb ddr, generic dvd/floppy a 32x liteon cdrw and a 32mb voodoo 4500(don't laugh!) the temperatures listed - are they for the processor or general temps? I'm typing this on my old system which is killing me! Any help would be much appreciated as i'm close to screaming and throwing the new pc out the window!! cheers in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back