Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get dhcp address

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPietan

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2002
US
Ok, bought a new compaq xp home 2.0Mhz p4 512M ram, integrated Pro 10/100 nic. We booted just fine and actually connected ONCE to our ISP via a cable modem. Going through the machine, we removed AOL and Compuserve software. We lost our connection. Alright, we Restored with the Compaq restoration disc's and rebooted. Now we cannot connect at all.

Going to try - un-installing the nic and tcp/ip and re-installing them. Before I do however, any suggestions? I'm hoping I won't have to do this, but hey, it's a brand new machine. I'm ready to say screw it and go back to my win 98 machine. :(

Is the cable modem connected via CAT5 cable to nic? Does your ISP assign you IP address - and do you need to go through a setup process to enable connection (if, for example you had connection to different machine, do you need to go through setup process to connect to new one? - so your ISP knows you are right person to connect?)

First, I would simply run "inetwiz" and make a new connection. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I can't see why removing AOL and Compuserve should have given you problems unless you use them, but I'm assuming you don't. Were you able to ping a URL? Did you reset the cable modem? You may also need to release and renew the IP.

Found it..... [morning]
Considering it was 8pm when we bought the computer
and didn't get down to finish installing it until 10pm
and then hookup and what not ... and then a complete
restoration of the operating system and software and
all told I didn't get to bed until 3am, I think you'll all
agree with me, that hey, the brain wasn't working well.

Now class, can you tell me what Rule #1 is when diagnosing
computer problems, especially network problems.

That's right Johnny -

CHECK THE PHYSICAL LAYER! [bigglasses]

Turned out to be a bad RJ-45 cable from cable modem to nic.

After I plugged in a new 3ft'r ... connected right up and
is working like a charm.

Meanwhile, I cussed a blue streak after installing the new
cable and thanks for the posts guys.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back