Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get any TCP/IP connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gi0

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
US
On this one computer, I've tried 4 different brands of NICs, three different network cables, two different hub positions, two different wall jacks, and I've even formatted the hard drive and reinstalled the entire OS (I was running 98 but now I put on Me) but I still cannot get any TCP/IP connectivity!

I get link lights on any NIC I use, and on the corresponding port on the hub. All of my other workstations on the hub connect fine. If I switch to NetBEUI I can connect to another workstation, but no matter what I do I cannot get it to connect to the internet. I can ping localhost and it returns info, but I cannot ping any other address, even ones on my LAN.

You running DHCP or a static address? Since you can ping the local host the TCP/IP stack is working so that's not the problem. You said you installed NetBEUI and you could connect to another system without an issue so we know the NIC and associated cabling is fine. Has to be how the system is receiving the address......For me to start troubleshotting this I need to know if you're on DHCP or running a Static IP Address Configuration.
david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

I WAS running DCHP on my file sever (NT), but I just replaced that with a Windows 2000 advanced server that I don't know if it is running DCHP or not since I know nothing about 2000.

DHCP has to be configured in order for you to have DHCP. DHCP is not enabled out of the box so if you didn't enable it chances are your system is setup for DHCP but not receiving an Address since you removed the DHCP server off the network.

If the system is setup for DHCP open up a command prompt and type in ipconfig this will display the current IP Address. Windows 2000 will run a default IP Address (I believe it's a 165.0.0.0 but don't hold me to that) If you see that then you are not getting an IP Address from a valid DHCP server. If you know what your scheme is you can put a static IP Address on the system until you can get your DHCP server up and running again....

Side note, depending on what your lease time is, your workstations may start to drop their TCP/IP connections one by one if they can not renew their addresses. This may be just the tip of the iceberg....

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Okay I said Windows 2000 but I meant Windows ME. Do these checks on the Workstation you're having problems on. Sorry I made it sound like you were to do it on the server.....
david e

What did you do to set TCP/IP up? Installing the protocol is not enough. You need to set up either DHCP or static IP's with the correct subnet masks for your network and a default gateway. Let us know exactly what steps you took when trying to get TCP/IP working.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back