Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get Active Desktop to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

jontvr

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2002
US
I'm trying to get Active Desktop working on Windows 2000 Professional SP2, IE6. Everything seems to be configured correctly with everything enabled, and the page I've selected is synchronizing on time. Yet, nothing appears on the desktop. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Hi,

You have done a big error installing IE 6 on W2K, because IE 6 use some DLL with the same name but with different version, a new "FONCTIONNALITY" of Win XP (i.e. bug fixing like pigs do), not inplement for W2K, so when you activate "Active Desktop" witch use part of IE fonctionality, if you have IE 6 instaled you go straigt away in trouble ...

The only REAL solution is to downgrade from IE 6 to IE 5.5 (and maybe upgrade from W2K SP2 to SP3) ... but now the problem is that "downgrading" is NOT a Krosoft "FONCTIONNALITY", not enouth comercial, so you will probably need to kill your W2K SP2 IE6 install and make a new one with W2K-SP3-IE5.5

Samuel

Samuel,

Perhaps you could point to a website further detailing this problem you're talking about?

jontvr - I'm running W2K SP3, IE 6, all current hotfixes, and my Active Desktop works just fine. Do you have the Show Web content on my Active Desktop checked, as well as a page selected below that (Desktop Properties/Web)?

I don't have lots of time today but I will give you more detail soon about the new "DLL Functionnality with IE6" and with link betwen "IE and Active Desktop"

See you later

Samuel

I also have Win2K and IE6 installed at work and at home, both work fine and I don't have any issues with Active X. Maybe there is something else going on with jontvr's machine.

jontvr,
I'm running Win2K build 2195 with SP3, some pre-SP4 hotfixes
and IE6 with no problems. Under the web tab,is the box for my current home page checked? Just a thought. You might want to consider installing SP3. Let the installer perform a backup of your system files. If SP3 does not solve the problem, you can then uninstall the service pack. Critical updates are important. Stay with them.
Hope this helps,

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back