Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get 2k DB to compact 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matth

MIS
Apr 30, 2000
US
I have an Access2000 database that we update every night. At the end of the update, the script runs a compact on the database. Sometimes the script halts due to the data, which causes the database to grow (seemingly exponentially). Currently, the database sits at over 2 Gigs. When I run compact database, I receive an "illegal argument" message, it continues for 40 min., then looks like it finishes. However the size remains, and we are not able to run a compact with the desired results.

Any ideas?

Matthew

You may have reached the database size limitation. Check the FAQ on this site. There are several related references which discuss database size limitations in Access.

Unfortunately, I was not initially able to located any Microsoft KB articles directly on this subject. Weird! Anyhow, I hope that points you in the right direction.

Gary
gwinn7

I have hit this size in the past and been able to compact (but thinking back, it may have been dumb luck). I am just looking for anyone who has a rock solid answer on this one.

Thanks Gary,

Still looking. :)

Matthew

Your rock solid answer is this: Do you have a spare 2Gb+ on the drive where you are doing your compacting? Best as I understand the Db is rebuilt afresh, and the old one destroyed, hence the requirement for 2 x Db size. You receive absolutely no warning of a space requirement either. Oh, and don't try to do this over a network if at all possible. Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Oh yeah, btw, what he (Gord) said! :)

Gary
gwinn7

Currently, I have 15 Gigs of free space on the drive. It shouldn't have a problem.

Does anyone know what the invalid argument message means?

Matthew

You might want to try importing all the objects into a new MDB then try to compact it. If it works, replace the prior version with the new version. I have had cases where an MDB was corrupted. This worked for me.

HTH

Matthew, try reloading Access and do a repair. Perhaps this is just one of those "gremlins" that has snuck in to cause you grief. :) Gord
ghubbell@total.net

This case happened many times for me. Because the size of your MDB close to 2GB, there is no space to swap. Do the following steps:
1) from my computer, copy this MDB (A) to new MDB(B)
2) delete all tables in B
3) import one bigest table from A to B
4) compact B
5) check the size of B, repeat 3) and 4) if necesary, or import the rest of all tables.

Issue Resolved:

First, followed Gord's advice and repaired Access itself, unfortunately it didn't help.

Next, I pulled Jetcomp.exe from Microsoft's support page. It is able to compact the database without opening it. I never had a problem opening the database, but it was worth a shot. It compacted with no problems. I also made sure that I had the "latest and greatest" service packs applied.

Figured I should post incase someone else searches for this resolution later.

Thanks to Gary, Gord, Ninfan, and Sherman for the input.

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back