Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get 1280 x 768 resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

will2k

MIS
Mar 27, 2003
GB
I have a widescreen flat panel monitor which has an optimum (and maximum) resolution of 1280 x 768. I am using it alongside my laptop (which doesn't have a 1280 x 768 option for obvious reasons). OS is windows server 2003, which is pretty much the same as XP.

I have installed the latest drivers for the graphics card and the driver supplied with the screen but I cannot get the desired resolution. Basically I want it to mirror what would normally be on the laptop screen, but obviously as it is a different shape this is a bit tricky. Is it possible to somehow make the laptop forget about it's own screen and only concentrate on the external screen or something. I am stumped and marginally confused on this as you can probably tell.

Please heeeeeeeellllllllpppppppppp

Cheers!

Will

There are two ways u can make you laptop use the another screen exclusively. One being to use a docking station designed for you laptop, the next is that on all laptops (atleast the ones I have seen) have the FN key to switch different setting in the hardware, ie... monitor sound etc... Good luck!

Please repost even if you find another solution to your delima.

Thanks,

I should have said that the laptop in question is using a docking station, so no go there. I will have a look at teh FN kay thing, but I don't think it will help.

Thanks anyway though

Will

Sorry, but the resolution set for the LCD Panel on the notebook will determine the resolution of an external monitor. That's a limitation of the video/display adapter on the motherboard and the adapter usually can't be changed. The Fn + an F key toggles between the LCD Panel, external monitor, or both.

Will, My name is Jim Waschura and I have a very similiar problem as what you describe. From my google searches, it appears the 1280x768 display resolution is more familiar in the Mac domain, then in PC's. I have a plasma HDTV with the ability to accept 1280x768 signals via a 15-pin analog or DVI digital input. My objective is to use a Windows XP computer and windows media player to play windows media and DIVX files for output on the 16x9 display in the highest resolution of the display in the proper aspect-ratio. I have had luck playing DIVX files from my laptop in the proper aspect ratio when I connect it to the Plasma in 1024x768 mode. For this to work, I have to first go to the DIVX control panel and set it for 4x3 aspect ratio playback. Then, when I play, it appears squished horizontally on the laptop. The Plasma's "Wide" display aspect-ratio is selected which stretches it back out to occupy the entire 16x9 display. It's a hack, but it looks OK (actually, it looks better than my DVD player - Better color and better up-conversion in SW as opposed to HW). Many laptops will allow external adapter output at different resolutions than the internal LCD matrix, but I just have never seen a PC with a selection for 1024 x 768 display resolution. I'm willing to buy a new PC to do this, if I can find one with this mode of output. Have you seen any display adapters that can do this? I have seen 16x9 PC laptops recently, it's possible one of these could do what you want. My email address is jim_waschura@synthesysresearch.com, If anyone has a line on a PC video adapter card that can do this, PLEASE send me a line. Thanks, Jim Waschura

Some newer graphic cards have drivers and advanced options to accomodate your need. If you have an ATI card, for example, you MIGHT be able to use the ATI Control Panel to manually adjust the resolution to 12x7....MIGHT.

Back in the day, I used a 3rd party freeware program called HzTool. If I remember correctly, you have a free range over just about anything related to your monitor/video card - including custom resolutions and custom refresh rates. If you use that and supply the 1280x768 resolution, and it doesn't work (i.e. you get a black screen or erratic display), then you know for a fact your laptop's video adapter absolutely can't give you that resolution.

My suggestion is try HzTool, and give it 1280x768 with the lowest refresh rate possible. If it actually works, keep upping the refresh rate until it fails, then use the maximum you found works for that res. Good Luck!

I looked into this, which would probably have saved me buying a new video card, except that it only works on 95/98. Cool tool though.

Try connecting the external monitor to the docking station. Boot the Laptop up, again, while docked. This should push the signal to the secondary, external, monitor, exclusively. In turn, this should give you the option to change the resolution on that monitor. If that does not work, then try the same procedure with the laptop off the docking station, change the resolution, unplug the monitor cable, then dock the unit, and plug the external monitor in once the computer is seated into the station. Not sure if this will help. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back