Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot format drive as some files are "Access denied" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grom71

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2003
GB
Hi there,
I'm stumped with this one, any help gratefully recieved

I have an upgrade copy of XP PRO, but as its an upgrade copy I cannot install it as a full copy, an instance of XP has to exist already.
Thats no bother as I have another internal drive H: which I installed it on.
As this drive H: is big (and normally used storage) I thought lets format C: and reinstall XP Pro back on, as it smaller.
Then reformat H: (leaving one OS on C:) and restore my backup and photos files back to H:

Anyway the H: install went fine and XP works ok. I then went to format C: and I couldnt. I then thought ok.. I'll delete the entire contents first (I think this was where experience should have told me dont be stupid, but hey we live and learn!) As it was deleting there were some folders and contents which would delete, namely ones used my MS One-Care product.
The problem is now, I cannot delete these files. I've tried booting into safe mode with dos prompt, trying to move or take ownership of the files, and even tried a couple of utilities guaranteed to delete files on a reboot but non of it works.

There is no security tab for the folders as there is no OS installed on the drive...

How can I get this drive clean !!! ????

Any help would be grateful !
Steve

Were you trying to Format C: from XP run on H: Drive or similar? Are the booting files for H: installed on the C: Drive? If they are then problems may occur unless preventative action is taken. You may have to boot from the Upgrade XP CD, use Setup to Format C: and install XP there. You will need a Qualifying Product such as a 98. ME, 2000 CD to show any Upgrade Version of XP (when asked for during Setup). After Setup completes you may need to use the Bootcfg command from the Recovery Console to fix up the new boot files to include the XP install on H:, or at least edit the boot.ini file to incorporate H: Drive.

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses (Q291980)

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

For more help (shows enlargeable screenshots) go here.

Use Darik's Boot and Nuke that should wipe any hard drive for ya.

Cheers
Rob

If someone helps you, leave them a star. It is just a nice way to say "Thank you"

The answer is "PEBKAC!

Thanks for all your help...
I've now managed to sort it :)
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back