Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot follow Hyperlinks from email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgews

Instructor
Apr 8, 2001
NZ
When I click on a hyperlink contained in an email nothing happens. It does not even open the browser far less go to the site. What have I missed? Is it a setting somwhere?
I am using Outlook 2000 and IE6
Thanks

Thanks, Jmat. However they seem to tell me how to put a hyperlink into an email. I have the opposite problem. I recieve an email with a text link and when you click on it nothing happens.
Cheers

Try holding down the CTRL button and then click the hyperlink. I have to do that on mine otherwise nothing happens as well.

Hope this helps.

Do you have the mail format set up for text, rich text or HTML? On the main menu bar -- main Outlook window-- go to tools, options, click the tab for mail format. In the first section, there is a drop down that gives you the option for mail format.
Choose rich text or HTML format. If you choose HTML you may also set choices for changing stationary and setting up your e-mail signature here in the next sections down, too.
Click apply and okay. You should now find that your e-mail links are easier to follow.

I have two ways on how to correct this. The easiest method is hold down your left shift button and then click on the hyperlink. You will get a BROWSE window prompting you to locate the .exe file for your preferred browser. Once the exe is selected Outlook will remember which browser you want to use.

If that does not work then check the file association for URL:Hyper Text Transfer Protocol in Windows Explorer. Check what command it is running for the OPEN action. It should be running the command
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Thanks guys, I will try these suggestions when I get home. (This problem is on my home PC) I am currently using Word as the email editor. Will post and let you know how I get on [morning]

Hi Folks, more fun and games. I have tried all of the above and checked the associations etc, all to no avail. It still does not follow the hyperlink. Frustration!! #-)
Any other ideas?????????????
Thanks for your attempts

Georgews

Is that for EVERY hyperlink. Are these all received from the same person...or do they vary. As long as you're sure you've tested as recommended including changing to HTML and Rich Text formats (restart Outlook after each text formatting change ie change to HTML = restart Outlook), then I would think it could be at the source.

Could be that the sender does not know how to insert a hyperlink, and is simply underlining and changing the text colour to make it look like a hyperlink. (That's why I ask...from one or many senders. Would be unlikely all would not know...)

Try changing the text formatting and when you restart Outlook, send yourself and e-mail test with a hyperlink. Let us know if that works!

HTH

Is your mail setup as rich font, plain text or HTML
Try to change it into HTML

Changing the mail editor would not address the issue since this setting only would affect outgoing mail.

If you type in a hyperlink address for instance in a Word document and then click on the hyperlink will a browser window open? If it does this would mean that you do have the correct file association established. If not then the HTTP file association is still askew. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Many thanks guys for your help and suggestions. I have now fixed it and it was all too simple. Yes it was an association problem. After trying all your suggestions the browser opened but with no link. So.... I went to absolute basics and tried each option available and at last I hit the "Reset Web Settings" for another try and Hey Presto .. it now works. So, joegz, your by-line about figuring out what it isn't first worked. [smile2]
Thanks again to everybody for your ideas. Cheers

Good news Georgews .
Just in case you do some more customising , this info gives may help .

Reset Default Settings
Sometimes, however--and believe us, it's not easy to say this--your IE problems are entirely your fault. After you've made a lot of changes to IE's preferences or customized your home page, IE may start to misbehave. If you have no idea which tweak caused the problem, back up to square one and start over. To restore IE's default settings, select Internet Options from the Tools menu, then click the Programs tab and the Reset Web Settings button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back