Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot find virus dat file error

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbit69

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
AU
I think I have a permissions problem.

Configuration:
Windows XP professional formatted NTFS.
Simple filesharing disabled and ACL setup.
Mcafee Professional V6.02.1019.
One desktop machine.
6 users sharing desktop machine, each with own account.

Problem. Updated Mcafee to above version and now I have the following problem.

Only Admin Group Users boot up correctly.
Any users without Admin privaledges get VirusScan's "cannot find virus DAT files" during logon.
As soon as I give the user admin rights then problem goes away. Remove admin priv's and problem back again.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled Mcafee and problem went away. Updated to latest patches and problem back again.

Have tried making c:\program files\mcafee and c:\common files\network ascociates shared folders giving all my users full control and no security restrictions. Problem still prevails. I have tried this with C: drive as well.

Hmmm. Losing patience. Any Ideas.

I had a similar problem with windows 2000 and McAfee v4.5, but it was resolved by the service pack. You might also look at the Avsync Manager Service and see if letting the service log in as the administrator for the account resolves your problem.

I have seen this problem using high security with virusscan. try setting to normal security js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

Oh oops didnt see that 6.02 in there js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

For anyone who is interested, setting the Avsynmgr to logon with the account named Administrator didn't fix the problem, but changing the Avsyncmgr Service to logon as the User who installed Mcafee who also has Admin privaleges has semi fixed the problem. All desktops now function but I have to revert the service back to a local service if I wish to update definitions.

Maybe not completely relevant, but I have been experiencing some problems with a freezing Outlook Express 6 in windows XP. I found out, that on normal boot with Mcafee Viruscan enabled this happens. But if I stop the AvSync Manager, the problem is gone.

Has anyone an explanation for that?

Many thanks,

BK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back