Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot find TEMP$01.exe....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigz

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
DE
HelloI have 2 computers - pentium133 & 233 both running W98.
The HardDrive in my 133 wouldnt load up explorer, so I had to put it in my 233 to backup the files.
Backup went by with any hicups, and the drive went back in my 133. No problem.
But, now, when I boot up the 233, the desktop loads, and I get the error mssg:
Cannot load D:/Windows/temp/temp$01.exe (or one or more of its components.

This is referring to drive D, which was the letter of the drive that came out of my 133.
Now its no longer in, why is it looking for it?.

Norton has been run a few times,. and all errors corrected. But I am still at a loss on how to stop this error mssg.
Any help would be grately apprecisted.
Thanks in advance.

er
Are these computers networked????
Do any have two drives or drives petitioned into more than one petition.
You mention Drive D in one machine that is no longer there. Well the system thinks it is so you removed it incorrectly.
By what you say it looks like you have overdone tweaking. Bite the bullet and start afresh. format etc. Take control of your life, not someone else's

It's looking for a temp file that was accessed when the p133 hard drive was installed.

- delete all *.tmp files on C:
- open up Internet Explorer, go to Tools->Internet Options, click settings, click view files and delete everything here
- go to start->programs->startup and make sure you only have what you need in here (only apps that need to start with windows, and make sure your backup software isn't in here)
- go to start->settings->taskbar & start menu, click the advanced tab and click clear.
- reboot

bottom line is that software on your p233 machine is looking for that specific file when it doesn't need to, or there is a link to that file stuck during the bootup process

Whooze,
The computers are not networked, and there are no partitions on either drive. - one drive is 4gig, and the other is 4.3 (both ata drives aswell)

MisterZuZu,
I cannot find the file temp$01.exe on either of the HDs.
But, will update NAV etc...
I have Norton 2000 (with that system integrator thing)
I am not running NAV, I use AVG6 for its less system hogging approach.

Disconockerated,
Very interesting, Ill look into it deeper, and I have used pccillens housecall before, I will try it again in the next few days.

cdogg,
All temporary internet files now gone, still some cookies left though..does that matter?
Startup is clear...apart from Norton utilities integrator. hmmmm.

ALL:
Thanks alot for the generous response. I will give it a few more goes, and see what comes up.
Ill 'keep you posted';)

wigz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back