Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot find Outlook file OLD.pst after changing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnplano

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
US
I am using Windows XP Home Version & Office 2000 with Outlook 2000. When I was downloading email I received the error message: "Outlook.pst can not be accessed. Data error. Cyclic redundancy check." Microsoft's Knowledge Base instructions Q319128 said to rename Outlook.pst to OLD.pst & then run the Inbox Repair Tool. Knowledge Base 272227 & 287497.

I did that part successfully & then proceded to run the Inbox Repair Tool. As my luck would have it, I have searched the world over on my PC & it does not find the OLD.pst file that I created. Now how can I repair it if it won't find it? I have now lost some emails because of it. Please help me! Your assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Bob

XP also hides some files and folders. Make sure that you have the search set to search hidden files and folders.

Cheers.

Dreamboat, yes I tried searching for *.pst but nothing comes up. cmeagan656 didn't find it that way either. I know it's there because I saw it after I changed the name. When I reopened Outlook & got the brand new look I saw that the window where I saved OLD.pst was still there. I closed the window & then it was never there at that location again. I know it was there! Believe me, it was there.

Okay. Not only do you have to set the search to show hidden files and folders, but I believe you must be viewing them as well.

Open My Computer. Hit Tools-->Folder options, View tab. Check Show Hidden Files & Folders
Uncheck Hide file extensions...

Excel VBA Certification is Finally Here!
Check out this bar:

Yes Dreamboat, that was done & it only brought up two files that had nothing to do with .pst files. Still nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back