Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot find name is Address list 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

blubomber

MIS
Dec 27, 2001
US
i am trying to add new users to my domain and give them email. i am told in aduc that the mail box was created succesfully, but when i try to setup the user in Outlook 2003, it tells me that the name cannot be found in the address book.

the RUS looks to be setup correctly and i have not had a problem in the past.

Get the individuals email address and send them a test message. Wait about 15 minutes and look in the address book again.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

First of all, check if the SMTP address's have been stamped in the users mailbox. If the user have the SMTP address's that are defined in your Recipient Policy, you may be sure that the RUS is OK.

Second, in Active directory Users and computers, activate the Advance Feactures and check in the Properties of the user in the Exchange Advanced Tab, if the option "Hide from Global Address List" is checked, if so, uncheck it and wait about 15 minutes so that the Address apears in your Address Book.

Also check in the properties of the Address Book in Outlook 2003 Client if you have the Global Address List in the list of Address's to check the names. If not add it, and test the check names in a new message.

Best Regards,
Luís Rato
MCP;MCSA;MCSA Messaging;MCSE;CIWA;CIWP;CIWSA;MCIWA

L

Thank you for the replies.

Here is what the problem was. When i added the new user and told AD to create the mail box, all that would happen but the RUS would not do what it was supposed to do. Using ADSIEdit, i found that the "ShowInAddressList" part of the new user accounts was not being populated with anything. I tried doing a rebuild of RUS a couple of times and that did not work. I waited 30min after the last one to make sure the replication and update went through. Still nothing. So, i used the windows failsafe procedure, reboot. I rebooted both the Exchange 2003 server and the Enterprise DC (windows 2000) that RUS was talking to. After the reboot, all is good. I have have checked the user accounts with ADSIEdit again and all the settings where there. Got Outlook setup for each user.

Thanks again for the Replies and help. Have a nice day!

When the RUS stops functioning, you don't need to reeboot any Machine. You may have the same problem again, so I supose that next time you want to decrease the DOWNTIME of your services (Authentication and Mail).

In the next time, that the RUS stops to work, just Restart the "Exchange System Attendant" Service in your Exchange Server. Because that the "Exchange Information Store" Service and more others are dependent of the "Exchange System Attendant" too, they will be restarted automaticly as also. Wait for the service to be Started again, and your RUS will go to come back to function.
I'm sure that this process will short your Services Downtime.

Best Regards,
Luís Rato
MCP;MCSA;MCSA Messaging;MCSE;CIWA;CIWP;CIWSA;MCIWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back