Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot find domain through a vpn connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddickers

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2003
I am trying to join some PCs in a branch office to the main office's domain through a vpn connection that is created us Cisco Pix's on each end. However, when I try to join them, I get the message that the domain server cannot be found.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Don

This is due to DNS problems. You will need to set the workstations to use a DNS server at the main location instead of using ISP DNS or local DNS.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

You can also configure your local DNS server ( with SRV records ) in your VPN tunnel configuration :

vpngroup xxx dns-server your_server_IP

Regards

Tom

Thanks for the tips and information. I am going right now to that site and see if I can get this puppy to work.

OK, now I have the DNS pointing to the DNS server at the home office, and when I try to join this PC to the domain, I can now communicate with the DC, but I am getting the error message:
"The specified server cannot perform the requested action."
Also to note: One of the laptops in this branch office a part of the domain successfully, and it has the original settings, which on this PC, I get the "cannot find a domain controller" message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back