Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot find boot files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moth

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
AU
Hi
Attempting to completely wipeout my switch, I deceided to run erase commands, etc. All was going well until I ran erase NVRAM. Now I get the following;

"The system is unable to boot automatically because there are no bootable files to boot"

I get these messages beforehand;
The Flash initializes ok.
Boot sector FileSystem installed ok.
Parameter block Filesystem installed ok.

Running Cat2900XL-EN, ver 12.0(5.2)XU

How do I get back to my nice basic setup??
Thanks for any help, Steve

What Prompt are you left with after the messages listed above. If the switch is stuck in loop and keeps reloading press the system button the front of the switch during the first 10 seconds after you power the switch on. This should take you to a default prompt of ROMMON where you can reboot the system following the info below:-

Setting BOOT Parameters at the ROMMON(Switch: Prompt)
Step 1 Connect the PC to the switch console port. Go to Accessing the Switch Using Console Port for details.
Step 2 Press the "enter" key a few times. Are you seeing a switch: prompt? If not, then proceed to step 3. Otherwise, go to Step 4.

Step 3 Pull the power cord. Hold down the mode button on the front of the switch and plug the power cord back in. All lights above all ports should come on green. Continue to hold down the mode button until the light above port 1 goes out, then release the mode button. The prompt should be switch:

Step 4 Make sure that the Flash is properly initialized by running the flash_init command. Running this command will not delete any files from the Flash. It will just make the Flash useable.

switch: flash_init
Initializing Flash...
...(output suppressed)

switch:

Note: In some cases, when the switch does not bootup properly to the regular prompt and goes to the ROMMON (switch: prompt), the Flash is not properly initialized and is not useable(read or write). It is always advisable to issue the flash_init command to make sure that you can use the Flash.

Also check this url for more info

Regards

Mr C

Hi, Thanks. The web address you gave me sorted it out. In the end had to FTP the boot file? from another switch, then follow a long process outlined at the website. Then after much restarting it worked.
Cheers, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back