Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot enable DMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPillow

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
AE
My advanced tab is missing in admin tools-devices
-IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers of Win2K(standard pc setup)so i carn't set DMA for my hard disk or CD-rw. ? and
is it possible that the drives may be running
in DMA mode anyway,how can i tell for sure ?

Try this registry setting to enable UDMA 66 (Off by default in 2K Pro):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
"EnableUDMA66"=dword:00000001

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Well, i id what u said, but i'm not clear about what it does. It sure didn't bring my advanced tab back. But does it enable DMA for the hardisk? and what about the CD-RW?

UDMA 66 is OFF by default in Win2K. This turns it back ou. Any grive using UDMA should be. DID you install Service pack 2? James Collins
A+, MCP

Also have you loaded the chipset drivers for your motherboard? Are you using VIA or INTEL? What chipset version? James Collins
A+, MCP

Yes, i've installed SP2 and all the necessary drivers. I'm using the Intel 815eea motherboard. But how can i tell for sure whether dma is enabled? and for the cd writer?

In W2K there is no specific way to enable the dma in the cdrom properties as in win 9X for each cdrom.
In device manager expand the intel ide controller so it shows the primary and secondary controllers. Goto there properties and you should have the option to set the drives to pio or "dma if availible".
Failing that, check out intels support site for there latest chipset update. It should contain the latest chipset drivers and enable you to update the intel ide controllers.

Another option is to "repair" your Windows 2000 installation by booting from the CDROM or Boot Floppies and choosing the repair option. This can fix problems with Win2K. James Collins
A+, MCP

OK, I will try downloading new drivers for the IDE controllers. If it doesn't work, then i'll try fixing Windows. Will keep u posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back