Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot edit Word doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSTechy

MIS
Oct 24, 2002
US
I recieved a word doc via e-mail. I would like to make some changes. However a curser does not appear for me to make changes. I thought about doing a copy paste to a new doc but I can't do that either. Does anybody know a way around this?

What is the file name extension?(*.doc, *.dot, etc.)Have you tried "saving as" and changing the name, making sure you are saving as a *.doc

Yes the file has a .doc extension. I did a save as, same thing. I also checked the properties to make sure the "read only" was not checked. and confirmed the file name had the .doc extension

Is this document protected as a form, without any form fields?

part of the document is a form. another part is about two pages of just text.

I would guess that the whole document is protected as a form. As you know, you have to protect the form part to have it function properly, but I think the default protects every section unless they are deselected before saving. You could try to get around that by saving it as a rtf file and then re-opening it with word. The protections will be lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back