Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot edit text anymore after saving file in v.9 and 10 ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenjames

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
Greetings,

I'm coming back to Illustrator after (too long) a hiatus, so maybe I've missed some new wrinkle in possible consequences, but I've been told (though I have my doubts) that there exists some way of saving, or saving as, which renders all the text uneditable, or permanently locked, forever after. Is this possible?

Let me hasten to add, the file is not "locked," there are no keystrings or passwords applied, the file content is not locked, or grouped, or otherwise on a locked layer, or sublayer, yet none of the text boxes respond to the Text Tool, instead a new text box is initiated. The text boxes can, however, be copied and pasted, though no matter to where, from v.9 to 10, or vise-versa, they still cannot be edited.

This is something that has to go to press immediately so your help is essential ! Thanks.

regards,

stevenjs

Sounds like the text was modifed to outlines and cannot be editted. If you need to edit the type you have to figure out waht font the type is.

info@prepress-online.com

Thank you PixelJock. Are you saying there is a way to edit the type after it has been saved with "create outlines" applied to it? It may be this was done in the mistaken belief this would obviate font problems with the printer, but the font is ---- Arial !!! ;-0

Is there a way?

regards,

stevenjs
"I am but an egg.

after a outline is done on text there is no going back on the fonts. the possibility to edit is gone so u have to find out what font it was and start over

i hope I am wrong

nexsus

Nah,

You can't edit the outline type - -but if you get the font info you then set the type as mentioned above. I have in the past in a pinch made type changes using copu and paste if I had the write letters to make the changes - -but this is not fun.

info@prepress-online.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back