Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot edit Illustrator files

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToolsGuy

Technical User
May 28, 2003
US
I've just started working with ID. I love it, but I can't edit Illustrator files like the manual says I should be able to. I'm working with AI 10 and ID 2. I've tried saving files in diferent formats and did drag and drop, copy and past. It might as well be a photoshop file for all can do to it. What am I missing?

If you set your clipboard prefs correctly, you can copy and paste editable vectors from Illustrator into InDesign. In Illustrator you need to set the prefs so that it sends something called AICB format to the clipboard, and InDesign, you need to turn off the preference to favor PDF from the clipboard. If you get the two sets of preferences in harmony, then you'll be able to edit Illustrator drawings in ID...but be aware that there's a lot you can do in Illustrator that won't translate directly into ID, so it's really for basic vectors, strokes and fills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back