Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Download Offline Address Book to Outlook2K 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapt

ISP
Oct 31, 2001
US
I am having problems downloading the offline address book from Exchange2K to Outlook2K. Error message in the sync log displays:
10:23:23 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
10:23:23 0X80004005

This message is displayed in Red text. Doesn't really give me any clues. Any suggestions on where to begin?
thanks, Kapt

Go into ESM and make sure you can rebuild the OAL. This is under Recipients and the Offline Address Lists. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

I did what you said yesterday and it worked. Thanks!
kapt

So everything is working now? :) Dan

I have exactly the same problem!
Deleted and created a new offline address list and set monitoring on the OAL Generator to maximum.
Everything appears to work fine in event viewer ... success is reported.
BUT I still can't download the offline address list - there is no list shown at all when I go to synchronize in Outlook!
And I still get the :
10:23:23 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
10:23:23 0X80004005
message in red.
(EX 2000 SP2, Win 2000 SP3)
Any more ideas?

This same thing happens to us. We are in the middle of an NT4 to W2k domain migration (new domain with trusts to old domain). NT4 users have mailbox permissions setup to allow NT4 users access to the new W2K/Exchange2K mailboxes.

Most activities work fine with the following two exceptions:

1) (The issue already presented here.) Logged into the NT4 domain working with Outlook "offline", the offline address books are inaccessible. Also working "online" the OAB download fails just as you describe.

2) The other issue that seems to be a problem is editing scheduled resources. Resource calendars seem to only work properly with full permissions for the "Default" user. The "Editor" permissions don't really work for editing with users still logged in from an NT4 profile.

I have no suggestions on overcoming the OAB problem. This post is just a possible confirmation of the other user's problem.

Hopefully, these issues go away when the migration to the W2K domain is complete.

"BUT I still can't download the offline address list - there is no list shown at all when I go to synchronize in Outlook!"

Oh thats an easy fix. On the Mailbox Store you have to select the Offline Address List since you deleted it. Dan

Dan - thanks, this is exactly what I needed !!!
Thanks again!!
Nick

I'm still frustrated with this issue... I done the above and still receive the synch error in Outlook. another thing is when I am in ESM, I get the error "an unhandled exception error has occured, ID c10306d3 in the message box and I cannot get into the properties for those objects. I also notice I had multiple offline address book public folder entries in AD under exchange system objects. Any ideas? I think I have deeper problems causing the synch problem.

I wanted to start from scratch. As per MS knowledgebase I reset the exchange system folders using GUIDgen.exe. I deleted what seemed to be duplicate or invalid OAB folders in exchange systems objects. Then, I created a new offline address book in ESM(in addition to the one already there called default offline adddress book) and pointed my mailbox store to this new offline address book. I started the rebuild process which it said could take a while. I forced replication in active directory and no luck. I've noticed there is only one public folder entry in exchange system objects and it is called OAB version 2. The other ones I deleted have not come back. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I have a similar problem. When I modify something in OAL it makes 1 day the change to be updated into public system folder. In this period the OAL rebuild doesn't work. AS soon as in the Public store system folder the changes are updated , the OAL generation works.
I have not understood what's event makes everything ok. It would be useful to know it.
Elgage, I suggest you to wait a few hours and then to try rebuilding your OAL

OK, I waited one day. Yesterday the problem went away. Today, I come in and the problem is back. OALgen warning messages in the event log and Outlook synch erros again. I'm about to give up.

Well, I've solved my problem right today and I try to help you.
First, I think you have to check the Address List you put in the Default Offline Address List. Is that a TRUE Address List or it's a non sense address list?
For Example, If you put "All Address List" in OAL, it makes non-sense for Exchange and OALgen gives error.
What kind of errors do you have?

The only adddress list is default global address list. I created a new offline address book called OAB which is in addition to the default offline address book in there. I pointed the mailbox store to the offline address book OAB.
thanks.

Is there any way to force an update rather than waiting 1 day?

I too am having this problem with the Offline Address Book, starting to get me down:-(

I done all the above and still receive the synch 0X80004005 error in Outlook. In the event vierw: MSExchangeSA showed everything is alright. Any idea?

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back