Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot detect tape device on Compaq Proliant 3000>>>?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWords

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am trying to install a SCSI HP Surestore dat 24 (dds) tape device into a Compaq Proliant 3000 Server (300mhz). The operating system is NT 4 Server with SP6.

I have managed to physically install the device in the spare media bay and have added the Apaptec SCSI card into a free PCI slot, and connected both with a SCSI lead. However NT 4 cannot detect the installed device, it can detect the SCSI card but not the tape device.

Do I need to add the SCSI card and/or the tape device to the BIOS? Do I need to use the SmartStart cd as I do not have the option of going into the Bios via f10?

Any help kindly appreciated.
by Lastwords,

Maentwrog (n.Welsh): Celtic word for a computer spelling mistake.

When it boots, do you see the device listed when the SCSI card starts up?

No I can't see the tape device listed when booting up. I can access a SCSI select utility via crtl a, however using this utility has not helped in detecting the device.

by Lastwords,

Does the device power up when the server powers up? Also, what SCSI ID have you selected? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Yes it powers up, but I cannot give the SCSI device an ID as I can't get into the bios. by Lastwords,

No the scsi id will be a set of jumpers on the physical device, nothing to do with bios. You must select a unique id for each scsi device on the chain (0-6 or 0-15) and unless the scsi controller shows the device, don't bother looking any further than your connection/power/termination/id settings.

Sorry my mistake, I will do this (even though I think I have tried it). by Lastwords,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back