Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot detect radiobutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

iaswnidou

Programmer
Apr 19, 2005
GR
Hello

I have a radiobutton declared as:
Code:
<asp:radiobutton id="rdbWeek" runat="server" Text="Weekly" TextAlign="Right" GroupName="rent" Enabled="False"></asp:radiobutton>

and i am trying to reference it with a variable. So far i have tried the following unsuccesfully:
Code:
var radio1 = document.getElementById('rdbWeek');

var radio1 = document.forms[0].rdbWeek;

var radio1 = document.all['rdbWeek']

Could you tell me why?

thanks

If you view the source you will notice the id is not 'rdbWeek' but something like 'xxxx_xxxx_rdbWeek' as .net writes a bunch of stuff in there.

You will need to reference a different way - either by pasting in this rendered value (which is not very nice) or using the DOM.

I have the radiobuttons in a HTML table. Here is the source after the page loads:
Code:
<span disabled="disabled"><input id="rdbWeek" type="radio" name="rent" value="rdbWeek" disabled="disabled" /><label for="rdbWeek">Weekly</label></span>

and this is what i try to do:
Code:
function EnableRadioList()
{
	var radioWeek = document.forms[0].elements['rdbWeek'];
	var radioMonth = document.forms[0].elements['rdbMonth'];
	var text = document.getElementById('txtRent').value;

if (text.length > 0)
	{
		radioWeek.disabled = false;
		radioMonth.disabled = false;
	}
	else
	{
		radioWeek.disabled = true;
		radioMonth.disabled = true;
		radioWeek.checked = false;
		radioMonth.checked = false;
	}
}

I am calling this javascript from a textbox:
Code:
<asp:textbox onkeypress="return keyRestrict(event,'1234567890')" id="txtRent" onkeyup="EnableRadioList()" runat="server"></asp:textbox>

The weird thing is later in the code when i try to save some data from the form. If none of the radiobuttons are selected then i have another javascript that cancels the postback.
This javascript should check if the radios are enabled first and then do the rest, but it fails.

Code:
	if (radioWeek.disabled == false)
	{
		if (!radioWeek.checked && !radioMonth.checked)
		{
			alert("Select weekly or monthly rent to continue."); 
		}
	}

although the radios are disabled, i still see the alert!

If i replace the server controls with HTML ones the javascript will work fine by the way...

How many radios in that group are there? If more than one (which presumably there will be, otherwise it's pretty pointless having radio buttons), then you need to refer to the radio button index, too:

Code:
if (!radioWeek[!][0][/!].disabled) {

Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

What i want to do is this: Enter a value in the textbox and on key up event enable the radiobuttons.

As i saw in the source of the page, when i have the radios enabled by default (setting their property) then there is span that surrounds them with a "disabled" property. Maybe this is the cause of the problem?

That should not stop you programatically altering the state of the radios, AFAIK. However, why don't you change it and find out?

Can you confirm whether you have [!]one[/!], or [!]more than one[/!] radio button in the set?

Dan

[/tt]

2 radiobuttons

if in the body tag i say this
Code:
onload="document.forms[0].elements['rdbWeek'].disabled = true;document.forms[0].elements['rdbMonth'].disabled = true;"

they get disabled and then the script works fine. If however i set the enabled property to false, the javascript dont work...it's driving me crazy.

if on the onload script i wrote above add a check (if the textbox's value is > 0) then the javascript dont work again.

I have referenced both radiobuttons as
Code:

So you're saying that i cannot access their properties as "radioWeek.something"?

The groupname is called "rent". Should i say instead?
Code:
var rent[0]= document.forms[0].elements['rdbWeek'];
var rent[1]= document.forms[0].elements['rdbMonth'];

When I referred to the radio "group", I mean how many radio buttons in the same form with the same name. If you have multiple radio buttons with the same name, you have more than one button in the group. If you have 2 radio buttons, but they have different names, they are not grouped.

Do yours have the same name in the HTML?

Dan

[/tt]

He has 2 radio buttons with the ids of 'rdbWeek' and 'rdbMonth' that are both named 'rent'.

In which case, this should work, assuming the form is the first form on the page:

Code:
var radios = document.forms[0].elements['rent'];
alert('Is the first radio button checked?: ' + radios[0].checked);
alert('Is the second radio button checked?: ' + radios[1].checked);

If that works, then you should be able to set them using the same properties.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[/tt]

My original problem was that if i have the ASP.NET radiobuttons disabled by default, then I cannot enable through Javascript using the onkeyup event of a textbox.

So i added a script on the body tag of the page:
Code:
<body MS_POSITIONING="GridLayout" onload="OnLoadToggle()">

function OnLoadToggle()
{
	var radios = document.forms[0].elements['rent'];
	var textbox = document.forms[0].elements['txtRent'];

if ((textbox.disabled == true) && (textbox.value.length > 0))
	{
		radios[0].disabled = true;
		radios[1].disabled = true;
	}
	else if (textbox.value.length == 0)
	{
		radios[0].disabled = true;
		radios[1].disabled = true;
		radios[0].checked = false;
		radios[1].checked = false;
	}
	else if ((textbox.disabled == false) && (textbox.value.length > 0))
	{
		radios[0].disabled = false;
		radios[1].disabled = false;
	}
}

Now the radiobuttons come up disabled and I can enable through Javascript. So it only works if disable and enable with scripting. When i see the source in this case there is no "span" surrounding the "inputs". When i disable them through the designer there is and i think that's where the problem lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back