Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot delete rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

cayuga7

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
US
I have a user running Outlook 2003 attached to our Exchange 2003 server. This user recently moved from a Win 2000 PC to a Win XP PC. He finds that his rules are not functioning and would like to delete all of them and recreate them from scratch. We are unable to delete the rules. Each time we view the rules in Outlook and delete them they come back. When asked do we want to keep Server or Client rules we have answered both ways and still the old rules come back. We have turned off or turned on Cached Exch mode and that didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've never done this on 2003, so you're trailblazing a bit. But this solution works on 5.5 and 2000, so the principle is sound.

There are a few different ways to clean the hidden mailbox folder that contains the rules (associate messages), cleansweep and mdbvue.exe are two, but probably the easiest is to use ExMerge in Archive mode, on just that folder. It's quick, easy, and works.

has all the details.

Let us know if you get success.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately after successfully running Exmerge the rules remain as before. I am confident I ran Exmerge with the proper settings.

Here are the error messages I get.

Error modifying properties for new folder (\Inbox) - Unknown Error

Errors encountered while copying the associated messages in folder '\Inbox'. One or more associated messages may not have been copied. This may result in missing rules or views.

Failed to repair the anti-SPAM rule in the target mailbox since the Inbox entry ID is not found.

I don't know what to try next.

Don't know if this will work...
Delete the mail profile from the local machine and then re-create it. Log on to outlook and see if the rules have been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back