Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot delete publication

Status
Not open for further replies.

dg043

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
GB
I have a problem with publications on a SQL Server 2000. I have a database called DTAD and this contains a publication of the same name. This is an old process and I no longer require it. However, when I try to delete it SQL Enterprise Manager freezes and remains in a 'Not Responding' state indefinately.
I have manually deleted ALL the merge jobs associated with this publication but I cannot delete the snapshot job. When I try to perform any operation on this job in Enterprise Manager, I receive the error
Code:
Error 14262: The specified @job_id ('xxxxx') does not exist
where xxxxx is a long hex number
I've even tried stopping the SQLServerAgent service and then deleting the publication but the same thing happens. Any ideas?

Dan Griffiths
Software Analyst
National Grid plc

Sounds like Enterprise Manager is caching the job list. Enterprise Manager is known for doing this.

Try closing Enterprise Manager and reopening it.

As for removing the replication, I assume that the replication is still there, just the jobs have been removed correct?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

I have come across Enterprise Manager caching several times before, but in this case I have even resorted to rebooting the entire server and still the unwanted snapshot agent is in the list. I still can't delete the publication

Dan Griffiths
Software Analyst
National Grid plc

Here is sample code to remove the subscription

Code:
-- This script uses sqlcmd scripting variables. They are in the form
-- $(MyVariable). For information about how to use scripting variables  
-- on the command line and in SQL Server Management Studio, see the 
-- "Executing Replication Scripts" section in the topic
-- "Programming Replication Using System Stored Procedures".

-- This batch is executed at the Publisher to remove 
-- a pull or push subscription to a transactional publication.
DECLARE @publication AS sysname;
DECLARE @subscriber AS sysname;
SET @publication = N'AdvWorksProductTran';
SET @subscriber = $(SubServer);

USE [AdventureWorks]
EXEC sp_dropsubscription 
  @publication = @publication, 
  @article = N'all',
  @subscriber = @subscriber;
GO

On the subscriber run the following.
Code:
exec sp_subscription_cleanup  @publisher = 'publisher'
        ,  @publisher_db = 'publisher_db'
     ,  @publication =  'publication'

After you remove all the subscriptions you can remove the publication. (Again sample code is given.)

Code:
DECLARE @publicationDB AS sysname;
DECLARE @publication AS sysname;
SET @publicationDB = N'AdventureWorks'; 
SET @publication = N'AdvWorksProductTran'; 

-- Remove a transactional publication.
USE [AdventureWorks]
EXEC sp_droppublication @publication = @publication;

-- Remove replication objects from the database.
USE [master]
EXEC sp_replicationdboption 
  @dbname = @publicationDB, 
  @optname = N'publish', 
  @value = N'false';
GO

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

My Blog

Thanks, you're right but I have tried running those scripts so that I can now guarantee that no remote servers are subscribing to the publication. However, Enterprise Manager still locks up when you try to delete the publication.
This is really a moot point now anyway because I no longer have the problem. I noticed that the transaction log had become ridiculously oversized so I created a new database and DTS copied the contents of the DTAD database into it. The new database then didn't include the publication and when I deleted the original DTAD database, the corresponding snapshot agent dissappeared also

Dan Griffiths
Software Analyst
National Grid plc

That will work as well.

The last bit of code that I included would have been what deletes the publication so that you didn't have to do it through Enterprise Manager.

Denny

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back