Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot delete NTUSER.DAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbgrs

Technical User
May 8, 2002
US
I posted an earlier message about the users profile replicating. I logged in as administrator and I'm trying to delete all of the profiles that say username.001, username.002, etc. When it came to delete username.017 it said cannot delete NTUSER.DAT. There has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use. Im thinking this may be where my problem is but how can I delete this file to start fresh? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Mlbgrs,

Are you using roaming profiles?

When Windows creates the individual file for each user that is configured to have a roaming profile, it assigns Full Control to the user, and no permissions to the admin.

Therfore, you you will first need to ensure that you have permsissions that allow you to delete the file. (If you are using the Administrator account, remember this does not automatically give you permission to all files and folders). But, as administrator you can always 'Take Ownership' of the file and then assign yourself permissions, so that you can delete it.

Hope this helps,

Patty [ponytails2]

Patty,
I am not using Roaming Profiles. He only signs into this computer. Is this a file that is set up when using roaming profiles? How do I delete a roaming profile?

Thank you for all of your help.

Mlbgrs,

The NTUSER.DAT file contains configuration settings from the registry. Every user profile has one, both local and roaming. The only real difference between local and roaming profiles is the storage location.

For ex. Local profiles are stored on the Local drive (hence the name), in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%

Roaming profiles are usually stored on a network server, so that they can be available to a user regardless of where they sign on.

Back to NTUSER.DAT...If you can't delete this file, first check the permissions listed in the DACL on the Security tab.

Hope this helps...

Patty [ponytails2]

Another thought,

If you can, access the machine you are trying to get to via the IPC$ share. And delete it then, when no one is "logged" in.

A bit off the path, but just a thing to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back